People ask this question because there is no reference to God or the Law in Song of Solomon and it seems explicit in celebrating sexual love. Solomon is Christ in this depiction, he never fails here (I'm talking about this individual book), never faulters, he is a rediculously rich shephard-king who can bound over mountains like it's nothing. nothing more than a writing that shows the faithfulness of a woman to her shepherd lover is spite of Solomons numerous attempts to persuade her to be his queen. Did King Solomon write it? How does a Roman Catholic reconcile a preference for purely procreative sex with the Song of Solomon? The Song of Solomon is a book in the Old Testament about which we know very little facts. Personally, I find it nearly impossible to accept the first, however. Roland K. Harrison of the University of Toronto says the Song provides “almost unlimited ground for speculation.” The Bible’s usual piety, preachments, and prayers are totally absent, nor is God even mentioned (except for 8:6 in some translations). He describes Samaria and Sodom as Israel's sisters. How do you cook more successfully in a different kitchen? There is a lot to be said of Christ's relationship to the Church. The fourth interpretation, and the one that has perhaps gained the most credence among modern scholars, is simply that the Song of Solomon is a collection of secular love poems without any religious implications. The Song of Solomon contains sexual imagery in parts and is full of declarations of love and adoration. Thank you for taking the time to do this! I would heartily encourage a better answer then! Is 54:5, Jer 3:20, 31:32, Hsa 2) Ezekiel 16 is a retelling of the history of Israel in Husband/Wife imagery: When I passed by you again and saw you, behold, you were at the age for love, and I spread the corner of my garment over you and covered your nakedness; I made my vow to you and entered into a covenant with you, declares the Lord GOD, and you became mine. and my hands dripped with myrrh, The idealized human love of the Song simply provides a vehicle and instance through which to present the pastoral theme of longing. Become a Study.com member to unlock this The Republican Senate's Thousand-Year Reich. The Song of Solomon is a beautiful Eastern love poetry extolling the love relationship between a husband and a wife. Language and poets have always struggled to communicate the subtleties of love and so this book is full of imagery meant to help the reader enter into the experience. Consider the use of sexual imagery in scripture. He anointed Aaron and the whole tabernacle with oil, setting them apart for holy use. Nothing more. She is pictured as a lily, with cheeks like halves of pomegranates, like the lily-topped and pomegranate-encircled pillars in the temple court (1 Kg 7:21ff). Song of Solomon is the best and greatest of all the songs Solomon wrote. The other is the book of Esther.King Solomon is generally acknowledged as the author, though some scholars say that is uncertain. This is the love of the King for his country, his people. What religions oppose vaccination, and why? If it is a (song) of Christ than it is well understood; if a (song) of Solomon it is not; since king solomon was already wed, and had many concubines, he was already an adulter, which the FATHER frowned upon. A saint is someone who has sisters and someone who received beatings. The fig tree puts forth her green figs, And the vines with the tender grapes Give a good smell. The "Song of Solomon" is attributed because of the somewhat popular (but challenged) belief that Solomon was the author… rev 2020.11.11.37991, The best answers are voted up and rise to the top, Like any library, Christianity Stack Exchange offers great information, but, Christianity Stack Exchange works best with JavaScript enabled, Start here for a quick overview of the site, Detailed answers to any questions you might have, Discuss the workings and policies of this site, Learn more about Stack Overflow the company, Learn more about hiring developers or posting ads with us. Is it best to attack the flat before a hill? Please also opt me in for Exclusive Offers from Patheos’s Partners, "Tolerance of others morals is what got us into this mess in the frst place. According to this view, the speakers in it are enacting roles in a dramatic love story that varies in outline according to the particular interpretation. SOS 5:1 has the man saying to the woman: I have come into my garden, my sister, my bride; The sister term must be clearly metaphorical, however, because 8:1 says: If only you were to me like a brother, The late Father Roland Murphy, an influential Catholic scholar, said the literal and erotic sense “seems to be the obvious meaning.” A standard evangelical reference work, the “New Bible Commentary” is more emphatic that the Song “must be taken literally as what it appears to be,” and finds love poems fully appropriate because the Bible teaches the “righteousness and value of true love” between a man and woman. Song of Solomon, also called Canticle of Canticles, or Song of Songs, an Old Testament book that belongs to the third section of the biblical canon, known as the Ketuvim, or “Writings.”In the Hebrew Bible the Song of Solomon stands with Ruth, Lamentations, Ecclesiastes, and Esther and with them makes up the Megillot, five scrolls that are read on various religious festivals of the Jewish year. Song of Solomon is an attempt to escape from the present complex realities of Solomon’s world. Can you show some references for others who share it? This alludes to the gathered host of Israel encamped under the tribal banners around the tabernacle (Num 2). Song of Solomon study guide contains a biography of Toni Morrison, literature essays, quiz questions, major themes, characters, and a full summary and analysis. You grew exceedingly beautiful and advanced to royalty. The ideals of this pastoral Song can only be realized fully in God’s kingdom in and through Christ. So many Saints have died praying for others. Song of Solomon is the best and greatest of all the songs Solomon wrote.