Paul Kalanithi, neurosurgeon and writer was only 37 when he passed away from lung cancer, and besides the loss to his wife and family, such a great loss to the medical profession too. Can anyone recommend a book that describes the field of law as this book describes the field of medicine? It is a memoir about his life and illness, battling stage IV metastatic lung cancer. ‘At the touch of love, everyone becomes a poet’, it is said. The Cancer Industry: Crimes, Conspiracy and The Death of My Mother. Kalanithi was 35 years old and finishing his training as a neurosurgeon when he was diagnosed with an aggressive form of lung cancer. As an undergraduate Kalanithi studied English literature and his love of reading and writing had been a constant through out his life. He earned an M.Phil in History and Philosophy of Science and Medicine from the University of Cambridge before attending medical school. [8] The book included a foreword by Abraham Verghese and an epilogue by Kalanithi's widow, Lucy Goddard Kalanithi. "[10] Nick Romeo of The Boston Globe wrote that it, "possesses the gravity and wisdom of an ancient Greek tragedy. and M.A. I read this book in about 3 hours. Initially, I was a little reticent about reading it, due to the subject matter, but after many personal recommendations and assurances it was not all 'doom and gloom,' I gave it a go. I'm glad that I perservered with it. When Breath Becomes Air is a non-fiction autobiographical book written by American Neurosurgeon Dr. Paul Kalanithi. It was posthumously published by Random House on January 12, 2016. I always felt that the author was holding back; that it was too clinical, too calm, just not passionate enough. A book has never impacted me that way before, and I'm not even sure why I read the book in the first place since I knew what I was getting myself into. In 'When Breath Becomes Air,' Kalanithi accounts his transition from his childhood and the path that drew him towards an initially unlikely career in medicine through the end of residency, and ultimately the tragic derailment of a once promising outlook. Might some readers find it depressing? It shows her point of view of the experience with her husband Paul Kalanthi's lung cancer. Daughter Cady will be so proud of her father. I went through this with her because I loved her. As I finished this book with tears running down my face I asked myself, "Why did you read this book? Instead, our system considers things like how recent a review is and if the reviewer bought the item on Amazon. Oh dear. Yet to just classify this memoir, to classify this novel as such is to devalue the man he was. He returned to Stanford for residency training in Neurological Surgery and a postdoctoral fellowship in neuroscience, during which he authored over twenty scientific publications and received the American Academy of Neurological Surgery’s highest award for research. I have lent this book out immediately after finishing it realizing that how fragile life is, how easy it is to forget that the love of wisdom, the love of psychology, the love of literature: it's all just the love of living. When Breath Becomes Air is so good and so sad. I can't express enough my admiration for this book, for Paul Kalanithi himself. All his hopes and dreams for the future were suddenly unrealistic as an upper limit of a handful of years was put onto his life. I’m thankful Paul Kalanithi found a way to share his love of writing and prodigious talents with the world, especially under such harrowing circumstances. My own wife died of lung disease (idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis). Test results arrive and Kalanithi discovers that his cancer is derived from a mutation in the epidermal growth factor receptor (EGFR). Excellent language, well written. I agree and am fighting for my own breath to write my thoughts about this stunning memoir that has left me gasping for air. There's a bit of a stream of consciousness feel to the book. To calculate the overall star rating and percentage breakdown by star, we don’t use a simple average. When Breath Becomes Air is one of the most beautifully written, heartbreaking, and affecting memoirs I have ever read. He is accepted to a master's program in English literature at Stanford, and one afternoon—pushed by his desire to understand the meaning of life— discovers the calling to practice medicine for the first time. and M.A. It feels awful to give a three star rating to a nice guy (by all accounts) who is now dead. Unable to add item to Wish List. His condition becomes so severe that even Dr. Hayward gives an approximation of how much time he has left – something she had strongly refused to do before. But I think most will find it rewarding and touching and well worth the risk of the emotions it might elicit. in Human Biology. . It looks a little depressing, what did you think? Paul's writing is straight forward and to the point, and wife Lucy does a wonderful job with the epilogue and follow through to fulfill her husband's request for publication. It is a memoir about his life and illness, battling stage IV metastatic lung cancer. During his time at Yale, Kalanithi meets his wife, Lucy, and sees the patient-doctor relationship as an example of life, death, and morality coming together. This fact gives him a bit of relief because it means that he can be treated with Tarceva, which typically results in less-severe side effects compared to traditional chemotherapy.[2]. . The reader travels with him on the intellectual paths he takes with humor, compassion and love. When I first finished this book, I was ready to award it only 3 stars. so that I could highlight parts of it and I re-read it. [2] Eventually, Kalanithi dies in the intensive care unit of his hospital. The world is a richer place because of it… And at heart, this is a life-affirming book. He discovers a big tumor in his right lung and without getting scared, he and Lucy research what other options are available. But I simply did not find this book compelling or insightful enough. Oh what more this brilliant man could have. After Cambridge, Kalanithi attended Yale for medical school where he met his future wife, Lucy Goddard. He earned an M.Phil in History and Philosophy of Science and Medicine from the University of Cambridge before attending medical school. [2] He attended Cambridge for history and philosophy of science and medicine where he obtained his Masters. With both graduation and a baby due in June, he takes another CT scan after months since the last. (Abraham Verghese). Just Baking: Homemade Yeast, No Yeast Quick Bread Recipes Cookbook for Beginners. Kalanithi attended Stanford University where he earned Bachelor and Master of Arts in English literature and Bachelor of Science in human biology. After completing degrees in English literature and human biology, Kalanithi feels there is still much to learn.