To get started, choose the Western Digital brand you’d like help with: {{variantCategoryOption.variantCategoryLabel}}, {{inventory.prices.list.amountFormatted}}, {{inventory.prices.sale.amountFormatted}}, {{customPromotionInfo.ctaLabel}} It’s basically intended to be used in the same way as the SD Card slot, letting you plug in an external drive (like, say, a USB thumb drive or a CompactFlash memory card reader) and then press the transfer button to dump the contents of that drive onto the WD’s internal SSD storage. These portable solutions have to have power banks inside, because they are designed to be used without a laptop or a computer in the field, so that you can autonomously transfer / backup files. There’s also the option to transfer photos wirelessly from your camera — although only a small number of cameras actually support this at present. I transferred the same 53 GB data twice and managed to back up another full 32 GB SD card and I still had 79% battery life left, even with the device powered on for quite a while during the process of writing this review. My Passport Wireless SSD provides up to 1.5A of power (0.9A when the drive is powered on). While the above numbers are not groundbreaking, especially when compared to modern M.2 NVMe drives (see NVMe vs SSD vs HDD), they are pretty decent. Based on streaming HD 720p, 3 Mbps video to one device over Wi-Fi 2.4 GHz single band only. Built-In SD Card Reader NSW 2059. My Passport Wireless SSD creates its own fast 802.11ac WiFi connection so you can wirelessly connect to your drive to access and view saved photos or smoothly stream 4K video directly to your phone or tablet using the My Cloud app. WD is also completely quiet on that front, but…. Mark, I think you’ve misunderstood the primary use of the devices such as Gnarbox and My Passport Wireless SSD. The My Cloud app for smartphones and tablets is also feature-packed. To access files on the device, I would recommend to connect it directly to the computer (see below), since it will take forever to do the same over the wireless network. You save me from considering this option. © 2020 Western Digital Corporation or its affiliates. Great review, but I have one question that WD’s foreign-based Tech Support has had trouble answering…If one desires redundant backup in the field, can data on the My Passport Wireless be copied to an external HD without an accompanying laptop? Once the backup is done, all four lights should be lit up and the Wireless SSD light should stop blinking. Future Publishing Australia ABN: 96 734 906 323 | PO Box 1077, Mount St, Internet connection and Adobe ID required. 08 November 2018. Think Tank (and others) design many such packs engineered to fit under commercial airline seats, or easily in the overhead bins. Forget the Surface Go 2 tablet, this rival has a keyboard and stylus for less than half the price, AMD insists Ryzen 5000 shipped tons of units, even though they're sold out everywhere, Darkest Dungeon is the best Nintendo Switch game for self-care right now, The best earbuds 2020: our top earphones and in-ear headphones for any budget, Best free games 2020: the top free games to download on PC, New Star Wars TV show on Disney Plus sounds very different to The Mandalorian, Perfect gaming bundles that will bring some Christmas cheer, Zoom is set to eliminate one of the worst aspects of video conferencing, PS5 usable storage confirmed – and it's much less than 825GB, Why GoDaddy's Website + Marketing + Online Store is the winning formula. Portable Actual battery life depends on file size, type, format, bitrate, devices connected, Wi-Fi connectivity, settings, and other factors. Is it AC466 or AC866 (probably not AC1300) theoretically? Just tested my new RAVPower Filehub DW03, with Kingston USB 3.0 Hub, a Samsung SSD T5 1Tb, and a Sony XQD USB 3.0 adaptor. I was able to get ~168Mbits/sec(21MBtyes) using FTP as a test on the Passport Wireless Pro HDD(WD Blue 2.5″). Enter your account email address to receive an email to validate your account. To reach the benchmark numbers provided below, you will need to plug the included USB cable into the device (with the micro USB 3.0 end), and plug the other USB Type A end into your computer. 'Item' : 'Items'}}), / {{inventory.prices.sale.billingPlanName}}, / {{relatedProducts[sessionRelatedproduct.code].minPricedSKU.billingPlanName}}, By clicking the "Sign Up" button below, you acknowledge Western Digital's. The micro USB 3.0 port is used for charging and connecting to a computer, whereas the USB 2.0 Type A port is used for connecting external storage / media card readers, as well as powering up portable devices. You can access files on the drive wirelessly on a computer as well — when you’re on the drive’s Wi-Fi network, it shows up as an SMB file share — however when it comes to transferring those files, you may want to keep in mind it’s a rather slow process over wireless. Since I often end up taking a power bank with me when traveling, I can now skip it and bring this gadget instead. While it’s perhaps a little bulky compared to other portable SSDs, the device is hard to fault from a hardware-design perspective. 1. Enjoy fast access speeds and transfer rates (read speeds up to 390MB/s4) when using the USB 3.0 port to move files to and from PC or Mac computers. While I previously did not consider the WD My Passport-series devices for my backup needs when traveling, the latest Wireless SSD version is something I would certainly consider for my own needs and recommend to other photographers.