It’s an easy way of eating a meal full of nutrients and fibers. Add the spices and cook for 5 more minutes. Keep an eye and remove the foam from the top, as it can blow over. In this case, we barley (see what we did there?) I tried making this recipe with swiss chard roots, however I advise using beets in the recipe. Made with only 8 ingredients, less than 30 minutes of active cooking time, and minimal cleanup, it will feed the whole family! simmer the barley in water in a separate pot, so it doesn’t get mashy or slampy. WARNING! Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. Simmer for 20 minutes and drain if necessary. Otherwise, there is a high risk to boil over. Read about some of the great benefits of barley here! I think you’ll really love it! The barley is cooked when about 20% of the grains burst open. Plus, it is absolutely delicious! The taste of this soup impressed even my non-vegan family members. Looking for barley recipes? In a big pan, in medium to high heat add 1tbsp of olive oil. Now let it simmer for 20 minutes and let’s get back to our vegetables! Pearl Barley Vs. Brown Rice: Which Is the Better Grain, 8 Vegan Foods That Strengthen the Immune System. If you are not vegan, some soft white cheese (like Feta cheese) would accompany it in a great way! This vegan mushroom and barley stew recipe features root vegetables and mushooms for a filling meal. A delicious vegetarian soup. A vegan mushroom barley stew that can be prepped in advance and cooked in the crockpot when needed! St We love veggie bowls! Bring the water to boil and lower the heat to low and cover. Seriously, do a really good job of rinsing the barley. Pearl barley recipes are varied, so everyone will definitely find something to suit his or her tastes. I also boiled the diced potatoes while the rest of this soup was cooking. We love veggie bowls! Ready to enjoy in about 30 mins. As long as you have a pot and a stove, you will be able to make a delicious meal out of this particular whole grain. Let’s get to the ingredients list! With all fresh ingredients and easy prep, it's an instant favorite! For today, our winner is *drum roll*.. a barley bowl! A hearty side-dish or vegetarian main dish. In fact, everyone will benefit from including this food in their diet. Serve by adding 1 tbsp of olive oil, some parsley and some spring onions on top. Cut all the vegetables in the same size, in small cubes. It’s simple and doesn’t require any expensive appliances. Vegetable Barley Soup is a great mix-up for your hearty and satisfying soup repertoire. Maybe this EASY potato salad will suit you.. Sprinkle some fresh Olive oil, some spring onions and parsley and serve with some lemon wedges, so that everyone can adjust the kick of the lemon for their taste! #beef #soup #lunch #dinner #barley #recipe #recipeoftheday. Learning how to cook pearl barley will be easy as there is plenty of information available on this subject. Read more, Dried Coconut: Nutrition Facts, Health Benefits, and Recipes, Benefits of Eating Cashew Nuts During Pregnancy, Lupini Beans: the Health Benefits and Ways of Consuming Them. It’s an easy way of eating a meal full of nutrients and fibers. No surprise, we choose to cut our vegetables in small cubes, so they have slightly bigger size than our cooked barley. Hearty vegan barley soup is LOADED with vegetables like tomatoes, potatoes, spinach, corn, carrots, green peas, and barley. I rinse mine by putting it in a bowl, filling the bowl with hot water, using my hands to agitate the barley and loosen the starches on the exterior, tipping out most of the water, and repeating this process 4 or 5 times. Mix the pre-soaked barley with cold water in a pot. Vegetable barley soup is a hearty, healthy vegetable soup that will leave you satisfied and warm all over. Get 8,000+ recipes for healthy living to help you lose weight and build healthy habits. Follow our steps for adding each ingredient at the correct timing and you have nothing to stress about (at least in this cooking session..)! Barley (not Barney, the purple dinosaur), is a grain used in a lot of different ways and once you get familiar with them, we can almost guarantee it will become one of your go-to meals.