Three layers of moist vanilla cake are filled with a whipped lemon cream cheese filling; and then enveloped in a sweet and tart lemon buttercream frosting … 3 whole eggs. This Vanilla Butter Cake with Lemon Cream and Berries is the perfect cake for those summer get-togethers with loved ones! Bake cakes until cake is slightly domed, and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with only moist crumbs, no wet batter. (Takes between 1-2 minutes mixing on high speed.). Begin by placing your cake layer onto a cake board/circle, and then pipe a generous rim of that delicious lemon buttercream frosting. In a separate bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, and salt. If the heavy layers rest on filling alone, they will literally squish it all out to the sides of the cake. In the bowl of an electric mixer, fitted with the whisk attachment, beat butter (on medium speed) until completely smooth (30 seconds to a minute). 1 cup sugar. . This rim is SUPER important to the structural integrity of the cake because buttercream is stronger than filling. Distribute the batter evenly between the three pans and bake for 25 min, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle of the cakes comes out clean. This cake was going to be eaten by over 100 wedding guests, it HAD to be good. Pour wet ingredient into the dry ingredients and blend carefully until smooth. ½ tsp baking soda. This ALWAYS works because the hot water heats up the metal scraper and spatula, smoothing out the buttercream substantially! 2. Thank you so much for supporting the brands that make Flour & Floral possible! Add half of the milk, then the rest of the flour and the rest of the milk. The vanilla cupcake recipe I updated just a bit (with the addition of sour cream) a little while back. Dipping, wiping, smoothing, and keep repeating until it’s as smooth and level as you’d like it to be! * In the bowl of an electric mixer, add eggs and beat 10-20 seconds. Because a good lemon sponge cake deserves a vanilla frosting—none of this powdered sugar nonsense. Eee! We all have a complicated relationship with lemons being sour but the perfect lemon loaf is zesty, sweet, fluffy and covered in soft lemon icing. Add vanilla and oil, beat. And if you really want to please the crowd, buy some Gyposphelia, also known as “Baby’s Breath”. Instructions TO MAKE THE LEMON CURD: 1. This Lemon Cake recipe is all of those things and more. or 2 teaspoons extract, and 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste, vegetable, canola, or extra light olive oil, can be made with 1 cup milk and 2 teaspoons vinegar or lemon juice, add acid to milk and set aside for 5 minutes before use. When it’s time to serve the cake, I would slice up those strawberries, and put all the berries into bowls. Just do your best to match the pattern, and this will need to be the “back side” of your cake. Continue the pattern by spreading each individual dot (one stroke per dot), scraping off the spatula (into a bowl) between every or everyother swipe. ), Place the second cake layer on top and repeat the last steps. It is done when it’s thick enough to coat the back of a spoon. I also whip up the lemon cream filling the day before cake assembly. My Buttercream Autumn Wreath Cake tutorial is up o, Wait, wasn’t this just yesterday?! To freeze: double wrap each layer individually in plastic wrap and freeze for up to 2 months, remove and allow to thaw to room temp before assembling cake. Her only request was to have her wedding cake be white and have a delicious lemon cream in it. My name is Glory. Your email address will not be published. Add an additional 1-2 tablespoons cream until desired consistency is reached. (Especially because this version includes fresh berries!). It’s very important that if you want your cake to taste amazing, you can’t skimp on your ingredients. I am about to make this cake for a party and I looked at the perfectly vanilla cupcake recipe too. While this recipe does not require you to make this lemon sponge cake in a bundt cake pan, it does make a beautiful looking cake. Heat, while stirring (almost) constantly with a whisk, until mixture thickens. ~ How to frost a cake using a petal or scale effect ~. Use all that buttercream and who cares if there’s crumbs visible in the buttercream? For instance, when it comes to extracts I ALWAYS look for the word PURE on the label. This cake was so simple to decorate and I love that! Place remaining cake layer, cut side down, on frosting. Stir together with whisk, and set aside. Like just look at that whipped lemon cream cheese filling! Place a cake layer, cut side up, on a serving plate. I also believe that every dessert deserves a photoshoot, and that food is meant to be shared. But here the weather is so hot that in summer I don't offer that flavor with fondant cakes. You can see my three tiered creation here! Summer is the time to go out and pick oodles of berries, and then pour them all over this cake! In a medium bowl, mix with an electric mixer on medium speed the cream cheese, powdered sugar, lemon extract, lemon zest, and lemon juice together until combined. Freeze as a whole by covering in plastic wrap/freezing in a box, or freezing wrapped slices individually. Three layers of moist vanilla cake are filled with a whipped lemon cream cheese filling; and then enveloped in a sweet and tart lemon buttercream frosting and decorated with fresh berries! (I found mine in the floral department of the grocery store.) I LOVE my Ateco revolving cake stand; it’s super sturdy with a cast iron base and revolves so smoothly. I need enough batter to fill a 12×12 square tin (single layer), as i’ll be making a large cake but baking in single layer batches. After the buttercream has been piped all over the cake, fill a metal bowl with hot hot water. Learn how your comment data is processed. and arrange them to your liking on the cake. In a measuring cup, whisk the whole milk, buttermilk, and vanilla extract together. * The batter will be thin. I’m Jennifer and I LOVE to bake, style, and photograph beautiful desserts–I also have an eternal weakness for pastels, berries, and silky buttercreams. Use a mixer to blend together the eggs, sugar, butter, vanilla, lemon zest and lemon juice. Assuming this does not need sour cream? Thankfully, the testings always got rave reviews. The batter will be thin. (You'll most likely have left over lemon cream filling, feel free to add dollops to the cake plates later as it tastes delicious with the berries!). ⅓ cup lemon juice. * In a medium bowl, add cake flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. And you guys, is there anything better than whipped cream being folded into a sweet lemon cream cheese mixture? 1 tsp vanilla essence. Using a cake scraper, scrape around the cake whilst spinning the cake stand to smooth out the sides. In the cake I actually used a teaspoon of Rodelle’s Pure Vanilla Extract, and a teaspoon of Rodelle’s Vanilla Paste. In a large bowl, beat the butter using an electric mixer on medium speed until it turns white and fluffy. Love you!! Hi! First, place your cake onto a revolving cake stand. Depending on the size pans you use (6″, 8″ or 9″), the baking time will vary between 22-30 minutes. How much batter do you think i will i need for this? One you have spread one row of dots, add another row of dots and repeat the process. It has to be a buttercream cake with lemon curd and it has to be eaten within 3 days. As it is the end of the citrus season in South Africa, it’s time to add some fresh fruit to the perfect slice, for a snack that is out of this world. This will help them cool fully, but stay nice and moist. This cake freezes great even after assembled! I love cakes and I love baking new flavors as much as eating them. So good. It’s so refreshing! We have excellent suggestions for you to try, just check out our recipes. Fill a piping bag fitted with a round tip (with a 1/4-1/2 inch opening) with frosting and squeeze icing to create dots in a vertical row (as shown). I think it looks magnificent with the berries and adds the perfect touch! Yes, I’m sorry for the confusion. James is, Here is my Autumn Buttercream Wreath cake. My personal habit that always makes cake decorating SO much easier is to bake the cake layers ahead of time. thesouthafrican.com is a division of Blue Sky Publications Ltd. Reproduction without permission prohibited. Add about 1 tablespoon of cream, and continue beating. Cut about an 1" off the end of a piping bag, fill it with the buttercream frosting and pipe a rim of frosting around the edge of the cake. It’s even tastier than a coffee shop lemon loaf. LEMON CAKE; 1 ½ cups flour. Sorry, your blog cannot share posts by email. I’m getting ready to use your Vanilla Cake recipe. Continue to beat another minute or so. Place the third cake layer on top, get eye-level with the cake to make sure you're putting on the cake layers evenly. Pour batter into prepared cake pans. Pour the whipping cream into a small bowl and using a handheld electric mixer, mix until it becomes the consistency of fluffy whipped cream. Fill the centre of the cake layer spoonful by spoonful of the lemon cream filling, being sure not to fill it so high that it goes over the buttercream rim. It’s the most delicious cake ever! Prepare baking tin, +- 13cm x 23cm, line it with baking paper and spray with Cook and Spray. Because I can’t get enough lemon, this cake is smothered in a sweet and tart lemon buttercream frosting; a flavor I will forever love and adore! Required fields are marked *. In its wake the peas leave their moist green vegetable goodness, nutrients and vitamins. A couple of years ago I baked 3 whole tiers of this cake for a wonderful bride. Heat while whisking constantly until mixture thickens and reaches 170-180 degrees, or coats the back of a spoon. Cool cakes about 10 minutes in pans, then remove from pans. One cup at time, add 2 cups of powdered sugar, beating after each addition. Address: Riverbank House, 1 Putney Bridge Approach, London, SW6 4TJ. Note- When you get all the way around the cake with this technique, the last row of dots you spread will bump into your first row a bit. Depending on the size pans you use (6″, 8″ or 9″), the baking time will vary between 22-30 minutes.