Bars? I’m Sally, a cookbook author, photographer, and blogger. Looks delicious…again baking not my best thing so you are in charge of this one for my next gathering! Thank you Sally. Design by LH. If you’re a lemon dessert lover like I am, meet our crowning glory. If I wanted to half this recipe, are there any changes that I could make? Triple Sec is another orange liqueur that can be used in this recipe. It’s deliciously moist and light and is remarkable paired with tangy cream cheese buttercream. We think it would work, but you will need to adjust the baking time. If it comes out clean, it’s done. Enveloped with lemon cream cheese buttercream and garnished with whipped cream, this towering beauty stands up to its blueberry studded sister! Our super moist Lemon Lime Cake combines buttermilk, fresh citrus, and lemon lime soda together in one fantastic sheet cake! Allow the glaze to dry for at least one hour before cutting into slices. It’s light and very lemony! Sadly, the frosting is waaaayyyyyyy too sweet it ruined the cake. The cakes must be completely cool before frosting and assembling. Cake flour is too light for this lemon cake; my cakes were squat and flimsy. Your email address will not be published. The crumbs did not satisfy! My cake turned out too dense as it was undercooked. This post contains affiliate links. Learn how your comment data is processed. A very pleasant texture, moist without being sticky or cloying, and a good balance between sweet and tangy flavours. Too good. Truth be told, we haven’t tried it yet ourselves. The cake was a bit dense though, how can I make my cakes super moist and fluffy? We also had some buttermilk in our refrigerator. amzn_assoc_ad_mode = "manual"; Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Both the juice and zest. I didn’t have buttermilk on hand and I don’t like the milk/vinegar substitute, so I used 3/4 cup regular plain Greek yogurt + 1/4 cup milk. Easy to fix too! An easy recipe to follow – thank you for being very clear and specific about the flour measurements and sifting. This lemon layer cake recipe is adapted from the most popular cake recipe on my blog: lemon blueberry cake. The lemon cake batter is velvety and thick. Notify me of followup comments via e-mail. You may need to whisk it all by hand to make sure there are no lumps at the bottom of the bowl. I am making it again but the first time it was a little crumbly but the frosting was delious.I am hoping for a even better cake this time. This helps the cake hold its shape when cutting. My sister had an allergic reaction to the eggs in the sponge though! Does anyone know if I can make this cake and refrigerate the whole thing overnight so we can eat it tomorrow? Lemon blueberry cake has been in my top 10 recipes for the past 4 years. We will only link to products that we use in our own kitchen. It’s moist, sweet, buttery, and loaded with fresh lemon. The cake stand you see in my pictures is the brand Juliska. I followed the instructions carefully. Also, I was also hoping for a stronger lemon flavor, so next time I might add some more lemon zest and juice. Lightly sweet and wonderfully fruity. ★☆ It was missing that fluffy texture that I was wanting, but I probably just overmixed it. If any liquid spots are left, bake for an additional minute or two.). But it bakes up light and extremely moist. I was torn between cream cheese frosting and lemon buttercream, so I combined the two by adding 8 ounces of cream cheese and a little extra confectioners’ sugar to lemon buttercream. I made two layers because our oven isn’t big enough to bake three at the same time and all up they took about 40-45 minutes. Hi Annie, We haven’t tested this recipe with gluten free flour but let us know if you try! You are a household name around here! In a small bowl, combine the powdered sugar, lemon juice and heavy cream until smooth. For the flavouring, I used 1 tsp vanilla extract, 1 tsp lemon extract, zest and juice of 1 lemon. Will that work? Your email address will not be published. To prepare cake, weigh or lightly spoon flours into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. I followed the directions exactly, and it was so simple and delicious! Thank you Soo much Sally for this Delicious Recipe. I would advise cutting the amount of icing in half, I love sweets beyond belief, but it was a little too much for my family and I. I made some homemade sprinkles and wanted to turn this into a lemon firework Funfetti cake for the forth, any thoughts on how the sprinkles will affect the cake. Hi Sally! I will definitely use it for my orders. The first week of every November is all about Thanksgiving Pies. This lemon layer cake recipe is adapted from the most popular cake recipe on my blog: lemon blueberry cake. Martha is part of the husband-wife team that creates A Family Feast. (And if you try it, please let us know how it works out!). While cake is baking, mix all glaze ingredients and pour over hot cake as soon as it comes out of the oven, spreading with an offset spatula. Join the community on the 1st of every month as we tackle a new challenge recipe.Review Sally's Baking Challenge FAQ page if you have any questions. All ages enjoyed it! Great job Sally. Bake time will be longer, but you can use a toothpick to test for doneness. The outcome in this lemon cake recipe is so-so. Our super moist Lemon Lime Cake combines buttermilk, fresh citrus, and lemon lime soda together in one fantastic sheet cake! Her specialties are baking, desserts, vegetables and pasta dishes. After a decades-long career in business and online marketing, she now runs A Family Feast full-time. Pour batter evenly into cake pans. PLEASE SEE MY, Lemon Cupcakes with Blackberry Cream Cheese Frosting. Its now perfect, gets your salivary glands going! So I’m doing your lemon cake with the frosting of the limoncello cake, and using the lemon simple syrup in the middle. Scrape down the sides and up the bottom of the bowl as needed. I definitely sifted the flour and only mixed the ingredients till just incorporated so as not to overmix. In a large bowl, whisk together the yogurt, eggs, sugar, lemon zest, lemon juice, lemon and vanilla extracts until smooth and creamy. Stir in the dry ingredients until just combined. I’m afraid to risk it for a group, but want so much to have a good GF lemon cake recipe! Enjoy! Little secret to myself…hehehe. Finish with the third cake layer and spread the remaining frosting all over the top and sides. Would that work? After 10 minutes, carefully invert the loaf onto a cooling rack. Hi Annie, Did you try this with GF ingredients yet? Cool completely, cut into any size pieces and serve. I love this recipe, would like to sub the lemon with milk and omit the zest for a vanilla cake instead. I think the icing could have been cut in half from this recipe. To assemble, evenly cover the top of the first cake layer with a thin layer of frosting, then half of the lemon curd. amzn_assoc_asins = "B07RQFVQ6Q,B000WS08UM,B07P137BXY,B00YBP918M"; Your email address will not be published. Top with 2nd cake layer and evenly cover the top with a thin layer of frosting, then the remaining lemon curd. Hey, we thought the frosting was too sweet so added more lemon juice, probably about half a tablespoon. I tried this recipe last weekend for my husband’s birthday. I followed the recipe to a T! ★☆ But there are definitely a few minor mistakes. Hi! My grandson & I made a flag on top for 4th of July using Black berries & red raspberries. Sadly, the cake was dry. The cake tasted so delicious!! I have made little changes to the recipe because of the unavailability. To test for doneness, insert a toothpick into the center of the cake. ★☆ I will never even search for another lemon cake recipe after this. The cake has a nicely balanced sweetness – with a little tang from the buttermilk, and an undeniable citrus flavor. Don’t worry – the batter will seem very liquidy as you pour it into a 9×13” cake pan. I absolutely love the cake texture and flavor. Pour into prepared pan and bake for 35 minutes or until a tooth pick inserted into center comes out clean. I have a baking business and always go to your blog when I am in need of a new recipe. Very basic ingredients including a base of creamed butter + sugar, eggs, lemon, buttermilk, and flour. more about Sally, Copyright 2020 Sallys Baking Addiction • WordPress Development by Southern Web • Website Accessibility Statement • Privacy Policy, THIS POST MAY CONTAIN AFFILIATE SALES LINKS. Notify me of follow-up comments by email. Tag @afamilyfeast on Instagram and hashtag it #afamilyfeast. I let my cake cool for an hour and refrigerated it for 2 hours before icing, and the entire top layer broke apart. Made the layers the night before and then iced it the next day which made it easier. Will one recipe of your lemon curd suffice if I want to add lemon curd between the layers? Then a few days later I made a limoncello cake. We're so glad to have you join us in the kitchen! The tips are very helpful. With the mixer on low speed, add the dry ingredients just until combined. Not sure how it’s gonna last until tomorrow evening for the birthday girl – we’re desperate to eat it! Pour over the cooled loaf. Yes, you would use one full recipe of lemon curd. She loves to cook and entertain for family and friends, and she believes that serving a great meal is one of the best ways to show someone that you care. Tag @sallysbakeblog on Instagram and hashtag it #sallysbakingaddiction, Sally, I made this for my two year old son’s birthday in March, and we all loved it. Bake time will be close to 40 minutes. I would add about two tbsp less. PS any good blueberry recipes? Aside from it losing its name of a 3 layer cake and becoming a 2 layer cake, this cake recipe is quite fantastic. For a lighter crumb be sure you are sifting your flour before measuring – this will definitely help! Besides the flavor and texture, this cake is loved is because of its ease. Hi Ana, I’m glad you enjoyed the flavor of the cake! My husband Jack first made this Super Moist Lemon Lime Cake last summer as a recipe experimentation. Everyone loves this cake! The icing is truly the “icing on the cake”. No rhyme or reason here– just didn’t feel like reaching for both types of sugar this time. A tradition since 2013, every December we countdown to Christmas with 10 new cookie recipes in a row! Beat in the eggs and vanilla extract on high speed until combined, about 2 minutes. amzn_assoc_linkid = "4f3b1bff4304cd009aa015294226fa78"; Whenever the word “sifted” comes before an ingredient, that means you sift before measuring. This easy and delicious cake is a perfect choice for potluck dinners, or anytime you need a dessert for a crowd. Without the buttercream, the cake is kind of gross. Key Lime Ice Cream with Graham Cracker Pistachio Crumb Topping, Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins with Lemon Curd Filling.