‘The world knoweth us not, even as it knew Him not.' The first interpretation seems unlikely since the… Weep in secret places for the pride and destruction of others. "Commentary on Song of Solomon 2:14". https:https://www.studylight.org/commentaries/jtc/song-of-solomon-2.html. John Trapp Complete Commentary. Go to, "O my dove, in the clefts of the rock, In the secret place of the steep pathway, Let me see your form, Let me hear your voice; For your voice is sweet, And your form is lovely. Answer: In Song of Solomon 2:15 the Shulammite says, “Catch for us the foxes, / the little foxes / that ruin the vineyards, / our vineyards that are in bloom.” It might seem strange that, as the bride-to-be extols her betrothed’s lovely face and sweet voice (verse 14), she would speak of a fox hunt. Believers tremble at God's word. BibliographyPoole, Matthew, "Commentary on Song of Solomon 2:14". de Isaac, c. 4. p. 281. . When she does not respond THE VOICE OF THE BELOVED continues. And this sense seems to be favoured by the following words, in which Christ relieveth her against such discouraging thoughts. And so it is, believe me, in our Christian life. https:https://www.studylight.org/commentaries/phc/song-of-solomon-2.html. (Varro, iii. The CALL itself, ‘Let me see thy countenance, let me hear thy voice.' This time she asks the guards again, but they beat her. 6:13a chorus (ends with “among you.”) let me see thy countenance, or "face"; and encourages her to appear more publicly in, his house and courts for worship, and present herself before him, and look him full in the face, and with open face behold his glory, and not be shamefaced and fearful; not to be afraid of any thing, but come out of her lurking holes, and be seen abroad by himself and others, since the stormy weather was over, and everything was pleasant and agreeable; let me hear thy voice; in prayer to him and praise of him, commending the glories and: excellencies of his person, and giving thanks to him for the blessings of his grace; for sweet is thy voice; pleasant, harmonious, melodious, having a mixture of notes in it, as the word signifies; and so exceeds the voice of a natural dove, which is not very harmonious: HerodotusF23Euterpe, sive l. 2. c. 55. makes mention of a dove that spoke with a human voice; and such a voice Christ's dove speaks with, and it is sweet; that is, pleasant and delightful to him, who loves to hear his people relate the gracious experiences of his goodness, and speak well of his truths and ordinances; prayer is sweet music to him, and praise pleases him better than all burnt offerings; and thy countenance is comely; fair and beautiful, and therefore need not cover her face, or hang down her head, as if ashamed to be seen, since she was in the eye of Christ a perfection of beauty. Joseph Benson's Commentary. [Hebrews 10:22] Quid enim per faciem nisi fidem qua a Deo cognoscimur, saith Gregory upon this text. She desires, “Awake, O north, The shepherd expresses his love and his desire for her love or death in, When husbands read this, most see a wife putting off affection. It is this truth, I am sure, that we need to recognise--that contrition is of necessity a feature of Christian life, because that Christian life is lived by those who are not wholly free from sin, As we go on our way day by day we are conscious of shortcomings. it is truly comfortable and encouraging to God's people, to consider, that however vile and refuse they may be esteemed by the world, yet, in the eyes of Jesus they are lovely. 4. de Imag. Kept by the power of God through faith unto salvation (1Pe ). lexicographer defines it, is a cleft into the mountains after the nature of a defile; with צוּר , only the ideas of inaccessibility and remoteness are connected; with סלע , those of a secure hiding-place, and, indeed, a convenient, pleasant residence. Lol. The whole book reflects youthful love unlike those whose love has grown cold. In, Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window), Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window), Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window), Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window), Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window), Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window). The TITLE of the Called one. BibliographyKeil, Carl Friedrich & Delitzsch, Franz. Their PLACE and CONDITION. Yet in regard to a believer, the title thee. To us the Song of Solomon comes as a beautiful poem, revealing to us the conditions of Christian life as lived in the love of Jesus Christ our Lord. There rises somewhere in the Jewish land a mountain of rock, and it rises precipitously. However, the Song of Songs is not so much about sex as some depict. Who is this coming out of the wilderness Like pillars of smoke, Perfumed with myrrh and frankincense, With all the merchant’s fragrant powders? “Cover your ears, kids.” The Song of Songs is a wonderful book. 6:4–9 king 5:2–8 young woman They were like a silly dove without understanding who looked elsewhere (Hosea 7:11). My heart leaped up when he spoke. 4:7–15 beloved shepherd And so the Church is ever conspicuous to God’s eye, though it appear not always to ours. "E.W. 21. v. 493, 494. The clefts of the rock have been thought by some the enclosed and eternally secured purposes of God in Christ, the rock of ages. His joy fulfilled, not in the angels that never fell, but in fallen and restored men. Pairs only with one mate. 1828. ; Fausset, A. R.; Brown, David. The woman expresses her love in Song of Songs 3:1–2. A species named from this circumstance.