The other parent, Dawyck, gives the strongly columnar form that doesn’t need pruning. 'Red Obelisk' is one of those unique trees that add so much to the landscape all season long. Deep watering encourages roots to grow further into the ground resulting in a sturdier plant with more drought tolerance. An ideal vertical accent for a smaller landscape garden. Address:5225 Dow's Prairie Rd.McKinleyville, CA 95519. The root flare needs to stay dry and have oxygen exchange. The smooth, pale gray bark is truly stunning in the winter landscape. You are close to receiving free-shipping on your order. Water the plant well then add a 2” (5cm) layer of mulch, such as shredded bark, around the planting area. Provides instant form and structure to the landscape. If the root ball is wrapped in burlap fabric this must now be removed along with any string or wire securing the burlap. A certified arborist will know how to do this, will check the overall health, mulch, and advise if tying the branches should be continued. After releasing the ties this spring, they continue to droop. Each spring, you’ll look forward to the shimmering red young leaves that emerge to usher in the start of the new growing season. Its narrow shape makes it more suitable for a home landscape than many of its larger siblings. The Red Obelisk European Beech (50’ × 12’) is a magnificent Columnar Tree to plant for now and for posterity. When pruning to control a plant's size or shape, cuts should be made just above a leaf bud and at a slight angle. There are many tools available depending on the job. Determine which application method is best for the situation and select a product designed for trees and shrubs, or go with a nutritionally balanced, general-purpose formula such as 10-10-10. The container can also be removed by carefully cutting it down the side. Should I continue to tie them up until they stay up on their own? The attached pictures are from this morning after a moderate rain overnight. Red Obelisk Beech is a dense deciduous tree with a narrowly upright and columnar growth habit. Pole pruners and tree saws are better for large, mature shrubs or trees. Trouble-free and long-lived. Beech Scale Disease. In my internet search of nurseries, Dawyck seemed most upright. Fill the hole until the soil line is just at the base of the plant, where the roots begin to flare out from the main stem. They droop more when they are heavy with rain. Adapts to most soil types. Very easy to grow in virtually any location. You can also consult a certified arborist. Return the soil to the planting area packing it firmly around the root ball. This may have happened with your trees. 'Red Obelisk' is one of those unique trees that add so much to the landscape all season long. Red Obelisk Beech Growing and Maintenance Tips. It is an intensive feeder and is known to cause death of young, beech trees. Consider whether tall trees or shrubs will block windows or interfere with the roof or power lines. Established trees should be fertilized every 2-3 years. Or are my particular trees just going to have this drooping habit? I know there are weeping varieties of beech, but my understanding is that this is supposed to be an upright form. Pruning may be needed to remove dead branches, encourage bushier growth, promote more flowers, or maintain a specific size or shape. Extremely hardy, versatile and low maintenance tree. To check for soil moisture use your finger or a hand trowel to dig a small hole and examine the soil. Best used for large scale plantings. This bud will be where the new growth sprouts. https://landscapeplants.oregonstate.edu/plants/fagus-sylvatica-red-obelisk, http://www.sustainablegardener.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/Directional-Pruning.jpg, https://extension.unh.edu/resources/files/resource000491_rep513.pdf.