But sernik as we know it today is a recent invention, unlike Eastern European pascha (more below). Szarlotka, apple cake, and sernik (cheesecake) are the most frequently served sweets in Polish homes. The cherry on the top of this sweet review is kremówka or napoleonka – the name preferred in Warsaw. The desserts we all baked together. Today the most widespread is battered cake obtained by pounding the dough with a wooden rolling pin, which makes it crisp. Desserts as we know them replaced their predecessors in the Enlightenment era, when French cuisine reached Poland and sugar gained popularity. Excuse me while I go and eat some more! In Pan Tadeusz, Adam Mickiewicz wrote about the art of brewing in Poland: In Poland, in a respectable household, a special woman is, by ancient custom, charged with the preparation of the coffee. At the same time foreign sweets such as brownies and muffins, crème brulee and fondants have found a lasting place in cafés. She is called the coffee-maker; she brings from the city, or gets from the river barges, berries of the finest sort, and she knows secret ways of preparing the drink, which is black as coal, transparent as amber, fragrant as mocha, and thick as honey. Nevertheless, the average Pole remains more fond of traditional Polish pastries. Yum. Around the same time, tea and coffee first appeared on menus. Excuse me while I go and eat some more! A pastry consisting of a roll of sweet yeast bread (a viennoiserie) with a dense, rich, bittersweet filling of poppy seed. It is best plain with butter and a glass of milk in the morning for breakfast. Babka drożdżowa is a tall, airy unkneaded yeast cake baked in a Bundt pan. This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. They've been around for centuries but they were once hard as rocks. This sweet indulgence originated in France. It is like a choux pastry almost, fried like a doughnut and covered in a sugar glaze. It’s called a buraczak, or beetroot bun. It shows that the hits of those days were different cakes: sponge, French, almond, gingerbread, wheel cakes called kołacze, old-fashioned macaroons (differing in texture and taste from today's French macaroons), fruit cakes and cream horns called ulipki z pianą. Author: Magdalena Kasprzyk-Chevriaux, translator: MJ 07/11/2014, Polish doughnuts, called pączki, Krakowska Manufaktura Czekolady, photo: Sebastian Kocon / Forum, Dessert as a Main Course? There are hundreds of apple pie recipes. This is more of a roll than a pastry, and is called a rogalik, which basically means crescent. When I lived in Poland, pastries and sweet rolls, along with pate and beer, were staples in my diet. No pastry shop leaves it out from its offerings. Twaróg has been used for desserts for hundreds of years (while at the same time seemingly inspiring quantum physics).