. Regrettably, I can't reply to every letter, but I greatly appreciate your feedback — especially notifications about typographical errors and inappropriate ads. para-, beside + kalein, to call: parakletos, advocate. var xmatch = ccvalue.search("x"); See Holy Ghost. function blankIt(thisfield) { New York: Robert Appleton Company. Paraclet (...) devint pour les chrétiens une sorte de remplaçant de Jésus, procédant comme lui du Père, qui devait consoler les disciples de l'absence de leur maître, quand celui-ci aurait disparu (Renan,Église chrét.,1879, pp.69-70).Paraclet (...) désigne tantôt le Christ, tantôt l'Esprit-Saint (Dheilly1964). Transcription. Paraclete, Comforter (L. Consolator; Gr. In The Catholic Encyclopedia. As to the mode and explanation of the Holy Ghost‘s inhabitation in the soul of the just, Catholic theologians are not agreed. Nihil Obstat. Please help support the mission of New Advent and get the full contents of this website as an instant download. Paraclete, Comforter (L. Consolator; Greek parakletos), an appellation of the Holy Ghost. He is the advocate of the Mystical Body, pleading God's cause for the human family, keeping the Church from error, sanctifying souls through the preaching of God's word and through the sacraments. He shall glorify me; because He shall receive of mine, and shall shew it to you” (John, xvi, 7, 14). This article was transcribed for New Advent by Sean Hyland. In heaven Christ remains our parakletos or advocate (I John, ii, 1). window.dataLayer = window.dataLayer || []; http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/11469a.htm. Remy Lafort, S.T.D., Censor. St. Paul teaches repeatedly that the Holy Ghost dwells in us (Romans 8:9, 11; 1 Corinthians 3:16). PARACLETE. In the above declaration of Christ, Cardinal Manning rightly seen a new dispensation, that of the Spirit of God, the Sanctifier. That Paraclete came on Pentecost. St. Paul teaches repeatedly that the Holy Ghost dwells in us (Rom., viii, 9, 11; I Cor., iii, 16). A title of the Holy Spirit. Paraclete, Comforter (L. Consolator ; Greek parakletos ), an appellation of the Holy Ghost. } The Paraclete comforts the Church by guaranteeing her inerrancy and fostering her sanctity (see Church). gtag('js', new Date()); Procedendo praedestinat; spirando vocat quos praedestinavit; inhabitando justificat quos vocavit; replendo accumulat meritis quos justificavit; glorificando ditat proemiis quos accumulavit meritis”. Free eBook: Liturgical Year 2019-2020, Vol. Paraclete. Verani takes it to be merely objective presence, in the sense that the justified soul is the object of a special solicitude and choice love from the Paraclete. 6. Sollier, J. } Imprimatur. document.getElementById('fmcreditcard').value = ''; gtag('config', 'UA-3494905-2'); A title of the Holy Spirit. The Paraclete comforts the Church by guaranteeing her inerrancy and fostering her sanctity (see CHURCH). To Oberdoffer it is an ever acting force, maintaining and unfolding habitual grace in us. The soul, inwardly renovated by habitual grace, becomes the habitation of the three Persons of the Blessed Trinity (John, xiv, 23), yet that indwelling is rightly appropriated to the third Person who is the Spirit of Love. He comforts each individual soul in many ways. "Paraclete." The Holy Spirit, whose function is to teach, bear witness, and "to convince the world of sin," is the love of God producing the effects of divine grace on earth, and appropriated to the third Person of the Trinity. To Oberdöffer it is an ever acting force, maintaining and unfolding habitual grace in us. Says St. Bernard (Parvi Sermones): "De Spiritu Sancto testatur Scriptura quia procedit, spirat, inhabitat, replet, glorificat. Its ordinary working is sanctification with all it entails, habitual grace, infused virtues, adoption, and the right to the celestial inheritance. Sollier, Joseph. The Greek word which, as a designation of the Holy Ghost at least, occurs only in St. John (xiv, 16, 26; xv, 26; xvi, 7), has been variously translated “advocate”, “intercessor”, “teacher”, “helper”, “comforter”. My email address is webmaster at newadvent.org. An appellation of the Holy Ghost.