Remove it and the seat and chainstays can part, giving easy access to bearing swaps, as well as tool-free rear hanger replacement (the rear hanger has a finger-operated lock-ring, and keeps the seat and chainstays together when the axle is removed). They make the bike climb so much faster, but they lead to frustration in the form of flats and lack of traction in Utah’s dry and loose conditions.

The model tested was the Orbea Occam M10 – the second-from-top level, carbon-framed build. Orbea’s MyO program gives a multitude of customisation options for higher level models in its lineup. In fact, if I had stopped there I would have missed out on one of my most memorable rides of the season. Climbing position is very comfortable, with the 77° seat tube angle providing a great, centered position on the bike and making it easy to balance grip on the rear with weight on the front wheel. Then don’t miss out on the chance to get this fabulous espresso machine at a fraction of the price! It lets you be the captain. The Occam’s 140mm of rear suspension proved plenty squishy in the rough stuff. Without the asymmetric link, the seat tube would have had to have been more curved towards the centre of the frame to get the necessary support for the rocker’s main link. If the terrain I rode on the daily was littered with rocks and pointy things that hurt tires or I rode bikes aggressively, I’d immediately swap out the stock Highroller/Rekon combo for a pair of Minion DHFs.

The use of a 44mm offset fork may be to blame here to an extent, with a longer offset possibly helping to neutralize this characteristic, but it really is a minor one in the grand scheme. The Occam might be the most well rounded bike I’ve ridden that doesn’t feel boring.

This added £132 in cost over the original 140mm Fox 34. My only criticism of the Occam’s descending prowess lies in the tire selection on this particular test bike. This produces a complete bike that tips the scales at a very reasonable 13.9kg (30lbs), whilst remaining impressively stiff, given its intentions. Setting up the Occam is as simple as you like. It’s not the kind of bike that leaves you feeling like a passenger on a plush velvet couch with two big wheels and an autopilot system. With my initial ride being at a fairly mellow trail center, I was sold on the pedaling characteristics but left with a big question about the aggressive capabilities of the bike. The Spanish brand with names that are hard to pronounce, released the Occam earlier this year. BIKE REVIEWS This was joined by a Fox Factory DPX2 shock. THE LAB Come by our shop in Kaysville, UT to snag a demo Occam today. The bike comes with a 0.2cc spacer in the shock, so I left this in and added a bit of low-speed compression, to see if I could control it this way. However, given the “all-mountain” intentions of the Occam, I feel that Orbea have done a good job with the geometry, with adequate stability for the most part, without the boat-like drawbacks that the most extreme bikes are suffering from.

Is there room, or are there plans, for another model between the Occam and the Oiz? I’ve never ridden a 140mm travel bike that manages to inspire pedaling energy quite like this bike, with riding buddies terming it the “E-Bea” as they watched me putting down maximum watts at any given opportunity. The riding position is comfortable, it’s very efficient and the customisation options are brilliant. Adding the link meant it was able to maintain the geometry it was hoping for, while also adding a bit of stiffness, and only 100g to the overall weight. Wheels came from DT Swiss — they’re dubbed the XM 1650 and are, in effect, a DT Swiss 1501 rim laced on to slightly cheaper hubs — built specifically for Orbea. All rights reserved. The only thing I can come up with is the bikes I’ve been riding lately have all been BURLY. Brakes: Shimano XT M8120 Hydraulic Disc, 180mm FREEZA CL rotors It sits nice and high keeping the bike moving fast. If you want to jump off everything in sight, the Occam will make it happen. Wait, you want more? At first glance, Orbea’s Occam looks like a derivative portmanteau of other bikes. It gets longer and slacker without going overboard.

The entry-level Occam hits the £2,000 marker but isn’t available in the US.

Some bikes these days have some pretty wild geo. The stiffness of the carbon rear end is not excessive, with a small amount of give that combines with the relatively compliant DT wheels to strike a nice balance.

These have an at-cost upcharge and the bikes are effectively built to order at Orbea’s own facilities.

The Occam M10 comes with a 140mm Fox 34.

Headset: Acros Alloy 1-1/8 – 1-1/2″ Integrated

Finally, Orbea has increased the anti-squat figures on this single-ring only bike to give a more stable pedalling platform and reduced the anti-rise figures, meaning the bike remains more active under braking — which is helped by placing the brake caliper on the seatstays. The result is this 140mm travel, asymmetrical framed 29er intended for a rider seeking “the best bike for the widest range of conditions”. I rode the Occam for two days in Huesca, Spain. Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window), Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window), Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window). The spar connecting the down and seat tubes means that the bottle is only accessible from the left-hand side of the bike.

The sensation I get from a “noodly” fork is the front wheel deflecting off obstacles rather than absorbing them. By signing up you agree to our Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy. The bike doesn’t wallow in its travel either. Bike Magazine. It’s not a sofa-like smooth ride, and fortunately not a wallowy one either.

Orbea's refreshed trail bike impresses in every area. Geometry on the Orbea Occam is quite average for a bike in 2020 – which is no bad thing – with the size Large tested sporting a 474mm reach and 627mm stack.

We love our Orbea bikes here at the shop. With the introduction of the 29in Rallon enduro bike, with 160/150mm of travel, and the Oiz XC bike, which had a more trail orientated build available with 120mm of travel up front, Orbea decided to consolidate the Occam into a pure trail bike, with 140mm of travel and 29in wheels. The only real initial criticism of the frame is the lack of ISCG05 mounts around the bottom bracket. It comes with an aluminum frame and a 12 speed drivetrain. Already have an account with us? You've been subscribed to our newsletter. It becomes super playful, quick and snappy all while being forgiving enough to correct a few mistakes. Has Bird just created the best value enduro bike for under £2,000.

There’s a Shimano XT groupset and brakes, with a RaceFace finishing kit. The increased anti-squat figures over the previous generation add to this peppy feel, beneficial both on flatter, more pedally tracks, where it feels like your pedal strokes really do make the bike faster, but also on climbs. The Fox DPX2 and DPS shocks come with a 0.2cc volume spacer fitted as standard, but the bike arrives with a 0.4cc spacer for more aggressive riders, and Orbea says the bike will also perform nicely without any spacers if you’re into the more ‘XC’ aspect of trail riding. The somewhat shorter wheelbase helps here too. By entering your details, you are agreeing to BikeRadar terms and conditions.

There is plenty of mid stroke support to push off of to get the rear wheel off the ground.

With this set up being such a breeze, it was easy to hop on to the bike and focus on learning exactly how the Occam performed on a variety of terrain. I had the Occam on some of the gnarliest trails at two of Wales’ finest bike parks and only wished for a burlier bike on the chunkiest and most flat out trails. GEAR REVIEWS The steering felt weird, the weight weenie tires bugged me and I didn’t think I was going to enjoy my ride.

It is, however, still very much a trail bike. Price savings largely come from the finishing kit and Mach1 Maxx 25c wheels here because you still get a 12-speed Shimano SLX drivetrain.

This operated an Orbea branded dropper post. £3,299 / €3,799 / $3,999; The build of this model is nigh-on identical to the M30-Eagle, but you get a Shimano XT/SLX drivetrain instead. There was only one issue with the rest of the Occams’ parts, in the name of the EXO casing rear tire, which suffered an ugly death at the hands of a piece of razor-sharp Welsh slate. I’m trying to wrap my head around what made me struggle with the Occam for the first few minutes. The fork is just lovely. Seatpost: OC2 Dropper 31.6mm, 170mm This is quite similar to the old Occam TR, so the new Occam moved to 140mm as Rallon went to 160mm. On its site, there’s a ‘builder’ function that gives you various colour options for a range of the frame’s design. If you continue to use this site we will assume that you are happy with it.

This is definitely in line with where the market is heading: longer bikes are better suited to more aggressive riders and shorter seat tubes allow for longer dropper posts — and rarely have much significant downside. In return, the Occam offers far livelier manners across the board, superb pedaling and climbing behavior, and is still meaty enough to get rowdy almost everywhere that the bigger bikes like to play. First, Orbea has done a great job keeping this thing efficient.

Wheelset: DT Swiss XM-1650 Spline 30c TLR CL, Star Ratchet, Boost Orbea Occam H10.

There’s a spar linking the down tube and seat tube, which allowed Orbea to locate the main pivot for the rocker linkage where it wanted it, for kinematics reasons, while maintaining a steeper seat angle. The rear axle holds the rear triangle together, as the Concentric Boost design’s rearward pivot is located at the axle.

Bear with us here. Chalk that up to a mighty-steep 76.5-degree seat angle, those sweet wheels, and suspension that provides excellent pedal sup- port when mashing.

There were a few corners that got the better of me, but for the most part, I cornered better than most days. End of review. Capable on a huge variety of terrain, well put together and well spec’d, the M10 is a true machine for all mountains. The Occam could, therefore, focus on what a trail bike really needs to be: capable up the climbs and very capable back down, too. You can still run a chainguide, but not a taco-type chainring protector. I didn’t get along with the Occam for the first 10-15 minutes of my ride. The bike has a nice poise about it, with the top-end suspension, progressive shape and grippy tyres combining to give a very real sense of security.

They tend to feel a little boring. The Hyperglide+ Shimano XT gearing is incredible, allowing you to maintain power delivery to the rear wheel without the need to let off at all, and providing a perfect match to the pedal-friendly Occam.

APB and Split Pivot both use a concentric rear pivot but the designs also describe an instant center created by the linkage, or in Trek’s case, a floating lower shock mount. The rocker link itself has received a fair amount of engineering. Orbea Occam Geometry.

It’s also great for the rider looking to keep weight down and doesn’t care too much about riding really difficult terrain at high speeds.

Finishing off the frame package is a rubberised chainstay protector, with waves along its length to reduce chain noise. The rest of the bike was fairly standard. Orbea offers the Occam at a wide range of price points, from the entry level Alloy-framed H30 model at $2,599, to the $7,999 bling-spec’d carbon M-LTD build.

Thank you for signing up. Orbea has long offered the opportunity to alter the spec on your bike; for example, the bikes we rode had a 150mm Fox 36 plugged in up front, rather than the stock 140mm 34 fork. All of these components except the seatpost will bump the price up in $50-60 increments. Fork: Fox 36 Float Factory 150 Grip2 RC2 QR15x110 Kashima