Nothing highlights the importance of a good pillow like trying to sleep on a bad one, and people who sleep on their side, in particular, can have a tough time finding the right fit because they need more neck and head support. HGTV.com editors test and rank their favorite pillows specifically designed for side sleepers with picks from Tempur-Pedic, … It has enough fill to give you a solid night’s sleep while camping or traveling, but won’t take the place of a nightly pillow with a higher heft. We may earn a commission through products purchased using links on this page. This one is on the higher end of the price spectrum (this pillow starts at $239.99), but it feels very luxe. Basically, they’re pretty confident you’re going to love this, now and in the future. The Pacific Coast Hotel Touch of Down Pillow is found in luxury hotels worldwide, and for good reason. I didn’t have high expectations because it didn’t puff up as much as the other foam pillows after 24 hours, but it was comfier than expected. Most lower back pain is a result of stress or…. It feels very springy, light, and supportive. This cool-looking pillow was purpose-built to cut down on neck pain, headaches and other commonly-experienced sleep issues. The Layla Pillow measures 4 inches thick, making it a medium loft model. I also really love the "cool side of the pillow". You may be able to find the same content in another format, or you may be able to find more information, at their web site. It’s tOugh but someone’s gotta do it. We also use third-party cookies that help us analyze and understand how you use this website. Our next pick, the Brooklinen Down Pillow, is a notable exception. Nut shells? Memory Foam? The gel fiber makes it so fun to play with and hold in my hands. The Eli & Elm Cotton Side-Sleeper Pillow is constructed with a distinctive U-curve on the bottom end, designed as a space for the shoulder to rest while sleeping. The adjustable Coop Home Goods pillow (a longtime Amazon-reviewer favorite) is “a great fit for side sleepers in terms of loft and support,” according to Auer. This innovative design yields one of the most breathable pillows available anywhere. The mid-level and firm feels have a chambered design with softer down at the surface and denser feathers making up the core. Aim for neutral, to keep the head, neck, and spine in alignment.” And your neck isn’t the only part of your body that needs support. It *feels* expensive. No impaired vision while looking at my phone here. If you’re looking for a green pillow that’s specifically made for side sleepers, you may enjoy the Sleep Artisan. Before we start, a few caveats: You’re actually supposed to replace your pillows fairly often. It comes stuffed with the amount of fill recommended for side sleepers. I don’t love this from a vacuuming or an environmental perspective. Users like this pillow’s complete lack of chemical smell. We recommend the Nest Bedding Easy Breather Pillow for both side- and back-sleepers in our full guide to bed pillows, and we know some stomach-sleepers—those who sleep half on their side, half on their stomach—also find it comfortable, and it offers neck support that doesn’t cause pain. These marketing claims are misleading. This 800 fill power White Goose Down pillow has a luxe 100% cotton 450 thread count cover. Offering the luxurious softness and breathability of premium down without too much sink, the Brooklinen Down Pillow is available to side sleepers in three loft options and comes with a one-year trial. Care: Machine washableFill: Polyester, cotton coverSizes: Standard and King. It’s important to buy a pillow with a good return policy—of at least 30 days—so you can try it at home before committing. Here's what you need to know about being a side sleeper. In addition to being cooling, it's also perfectly firm. This pillow is available in three firmness levels. While some folks find it a bit heavy and a little firm at first, it seems to soften quickly and provide much-needed support. Shop Now Standard Pillow, Tuft & Needle, $75. When I saw this side sleeper pillow from Drift, I stopped dead in my tracks. How does one obtain this? The pillow cover is made from 230-thread count 100 percent cotton, which is soft, breathable, and resilient. The down and feathers will compress a bit, but the pillow should provide enough cushioning for most side sleepers. All rights reserved. If you’re on a budget, I recommend trying one Wamsutta pillow first (think of it as a $15 investment), and using that as a baseline to see which of the more expensive pillows are worth the splurge. But it can also decrease acid reflux and lessen the risk of back and neck pain. Coop Home Goods also offers bundling packages, which allow you to purchase two pillows and two mattress protectors at a discounted rate. Shop Now Leesa Memory Foam Pillow, Leesa, $75. This pillow features a pillow-in-a-pillow construction filled with fluffy down and feather. Although it’s lumpier than the Easy Breather, and the texture took getting used to for some of our testers, most of our back- and side-sleepers, as well as a few stomach-sleepers, have liked it over the years. And it’s overstuffed when it arrives, so you can take out the amount you want to adjust it to your needs. As for traditional-style pillows, the Snowe down alternative was really amazing, as was The Company Store’s pillow. Pillows that are suitable for side sleepers are available from a wide range of sellers. “This pillow gives much better support for my neck than any down/synthetic down pillow I have owned in the past,” one side-sleeper told us. This can be attributed to decent airflow throughout the pillow, since shredded foam promotes more circulation than solid foam. The shredded latex fill is adjustable – albeit a bit messy – so you can find your ideal height. The goal of any pillow should be to keep your head and neck in roughly the same position as they are when you’re standing straight.