I substituted brown rice for the white rice, which was simple once I adjusted the cooking times. This one is a good leftover dish. 1 x Dried Parsley Portion While the lentils are simmering, cook rice with 1.5 cup of water. We loved it so much we’re making again in 3 more days for company. 2

I was thinking of using this recipe for meal prep. Join us! I combined it with some leftover dish that gave it an umami taste. Sweet potatoes tend to get really mushy, so I personally don’t add to the instant pot.

I also added a handful of chopped coriander for freshness. As with all of my recipes, the focus is on whole foods instead of artificial convenience ingredients, so the recipes are delicious, easy, and healthful too. I'll let you know how it turns out. While it was cooking I just sauteed some portobello caps on the stove top and put on top of it. 1 x Sesame Dressing Portion If you can, make this dish ahead and set aside for the flavors to develop. The green lentils are proably smaller so require a little less cooking time. At what point do you add the second 5 cups of water? Sorry, I haven’t cooked it with quinoa. LENTILS & RICE: If you use different lentils (like small ones) or different rice (like white basmati) you will have to adjust the liquid down a bit.

The latter of which my family cannot stand because of the spices. ), ( BTW, this is the first meal I’ve cooked since having had hip replacement surgery two weeks ago. I love the basic Mexican rice and beans and this is a different spin on it! If it's not too late, do send over and let's see what we can do. [Eating Out in New York City] Jack's Wife Freda | ... Mujadara [Mujaddara] | Lentils and Rice with Caram... Creative Commons Leave a comment below and share a picture on. I found the high too hot so I have started using medium most of the time. Thank you! This is going to be my new kitchen staple. In a large pot, add lentils with 1/2 tsp salt and 4 cups of water. The thing that spoilt it was the onions. Place all remaining ingredients into the Instant Pot, stir well, and set it to High Pressure for 6 minutes. Use more water (1:2 proportions if using any other kind of white rice). Rosemary Roasted Potatoes | Air Fryer Potatoes, https://www.wegmans.com/products/natures-marketplace/grocery/dried-beans/green-lentils.html, https://www.wegmans.com/products/natures-marketplace/grocery/dried-beans/french-green-lentils.html, 30-Minute Indian Butter Chicken Recipe | Instant Pot Butter Chicken, No-Bake Keto Desserts: Peanut Butter Chocolate Bars, Creamy Garlic Chicken|Low Carb French Garlic Chicken Recipe, Cream Cheese Pound Cake | Keto Pound Cake, Shrimp with Coconut Milk | Easiest Ever Low Carb High Protein Shrimp, Soak the lentils in hot water before you get started, While they're soaking, brown the onions and wash the rice. Definitely going to be making this often. Thanks for this recipe, Kate! ), ( It was perfect. ), ( Hi Steven, I’m sorry to hear that. Now to find a Ghallaba recipe to use up the rest of this fresh hummus and tahini sauce :). The tip I learnt from the original recipe is to NOT to stir the onions more than twice. Set Instant Pot to Saute function. Recipe yields 4 generous servings. Instant Pot mujadara is a delicious combination of lentils, rice and caramelized onions. I’ve looked over the ingredients and I’m not sure why the sodium is so high. You can find brown basmati rice (Lundberg brand) at most well-stocked grocery stores, or you can buy it at Trader Joe’s (they sell both regular and quick-cooking brown basmati, so be sure to buy the regular). For me it took longer than 40 minutes from start to plate. Thanks. If you can't find French lentils where you live, I suggest you soak regular lentils but use brown rice, and adjust the water accordingly. Here’s my guide to cooking lentils.

Hi, thanks for this fabulous and quick recipe.

55g) I know and like the flavour of cumin seeds, so it turned out good enough for me. Welcome! So I’d be guessing here! Made this to have for lunch today. And can I freeze it ? 12 I’m in charge of cooking the grains and sometimes we do red quinoa instead of rice. ), ( I hope you try this one sometime and let me know how it compares! I didn’t make the sauces as I don’t link cilantro. We made this this evening and …..it was just heavenly….we’re so excited that we have some leftover for tomorrow!!! OMG. Atom Made the rice and lentils as directed as they came out perfectly. To make this on the stove top…see recipe notes. Instant Pot Lentils & Rice (Mujadara) is the perfect healthy vegan meal. 15 I usually soak brown lentils overnight before using. This one sounds delicious. ), ( Add rice and lentils, and stir to combine.

In used white basmati rice and reduced the water. For what I had in the ingredients (not French Lentils, not ghee, not enough fresh onion and older spices) I thought the recipe turned out well. Note: Any comments with external links will not be published. I really loved the flavours in this dish. I also cooked my onions in extra-virgin olive oil instead of peanut oil, and it worked great. Affiliate details ». I think kids find crisped onions to be somewhat bitter so if you're feeding little ones, you may want to go easy on the crisping, as I did. Call it Kushari, Mujadara, Khichidi, or Lentils and Rice, but most cultures have some version of these Greek Lentils. Thank you! Please leave your adjustments below to help other users, thanks! Recipe doubled easily. Amazing at first bite! Oh! Both delicious and cheap. How would you suggest modifying the recipe for this substitute? I cook fresh, vegetarian recipes. This is way too much water: 5 cups. Please read your packaging directions to calculate both. I am lebanese and eat mujaddara all the time, but this recipie really added much flavour to the dish by boiling all spices in the water first for example and garnishing with green onions and parsley (was a first for me)! Add 1 tbsp of water if it is too dry. If the onions are browning before they have softened, dial down the heat to give them more time. When it’s warm enough that a slice of onion sizzles on contact, add the remaining onions. 21 This isn’t suppose to be crunchy. 1 x Basmati Rice Grains Pack (approx. Stir it gently but well, and leave the lid half off and half on the pot. You can easily create a gluten-free … For one, I used the French Puy lentils rather than the traditional lentils since these cook faster. 29 I love the variety of cuisines on this site and that I can always trust it. Accessibility Policy ⋄ Comment Policy ⋄ Nutrition Disclaimer ⋄ Photo/Recipe Policy ⋄ Privacy Policy, Subscribe to our newsletter! WHITE RICE If using white basmati rice, shorten the cooking time to 11 minutes and reduce water to 2.5 cups. I made this a few weeks ago and absolutely loved it! I made the Milk Street version of the recipe, using 1 cup brown lentils and basmati rice: the result is extremely soupy. Thank you so much. ★☆ Excellent option as an intro to vegan meals for my kids and it was a hit all around! Finally, I added more fresh herbs to liven up the finished dish. Yum yum yum. I’d like to try this recipe for tonight’s dinner, however I could only find green lentils at our local grocery store.

( 4

), ( For softer onions, just reduce the heat to medium-low after 10 minutes at medium-high. So easy and delish! Lentils and rice cooked with fragrant spices and topped with caramelized onions. Any ideas? Drain and set aside. How much less water for white basmati rice? Hope that helps! It is also designed for standard, uncooked brown or green lentils (not canned lentils or red/yellow/black beluga/French green lentils). Thank you for your review. Maybe you have the 2x click and it was doubling the recipe?

I intend to soak the wild rice and lentils half an hour before cooking. Thanks. Hello!

Was it boiling or simmering? Thank you for the detailed instructions. It freezes like a champ but the onions need to be fresh if they are to be crisp. 1 x Roasted Cashew Nuts Pack This recipe is part of the regular rotation at our house–we’ve made it at least 10+ times! I just made this dish. I presume when you add the lentils…but your instructions leave this matter unclear. To keep this vegan, top with tahini sauce instead of yogurt. I made a few minor tweaks: I don't have ghee so I melted 1tbs butter into 1tbs veg oil, then poured off 1/2 to cook the onions in. 51 Both regular lentils and brown rice take 20 mins in the Instant Pot so those should work together. I am using regular brown rice and brown lentils. thanks, M. Hi Megan, a single recipe calls for 5 cups water. 1 x Mung Beans Pack (approx. 8

I’m sorry to hear that, Vickie. This was so easy to make and tasted delicious! Cover and cook, stirring occasionally and adjusting the heat as necessary to maintain a controlled simmer, for 10 minutes. If you try it, let me know! Thank you for letting me know this one is a hit, Laura. Thank you for sharing ☺️, Oh man! 18 I am sharing two ways of making Mujadara, one is one stovetop using a pan, and the other way is by using a pressure cooker. You will only need 5 cups of water. Instagram ⋄ Pinterest ⋄ Facebook, Subscribe to our email newsletter! Any variety of regular brown rice will theoretically work, though basmati is the most traditional choice. I’m excited it was such a hit. . A celebratory feast! – Rice Cooker / Pot with Lid I’m pretty sure we make this at least twice a month. Follow Cooking With Siri's board Cooking With Siri Recipes on Pinterest. Thank you for sharing. Oh, of course!

You can also serve this with yogurt or tahini sauce. Hi Kay! Delicious. Hi Gigi! Very easy and delicious! That is what I will do. After this, the next on my list is your African Stew - it sounds so yummy! Please read your packaging directions to calculate both.