The one thing I noticed wasn’t in the sauce was crushed fresh garlic, so I added 2 cloves. Looks delish! Combine hamburger, garlic, 1 Tbsp parsley flakes, garlic salt, oregano, tomato sauce in a large pan and simmer 30 minutes. I’ve mentioned a few times that my mom … Grab your favorite people and treat them to this rich, creamy Cottage Cheese Lasagna. My grocery store did not have ricota that so many other recipes was calling for. I’m splitting into two 8X8 pans, one for dinner and one for freezer meal in preparation for another baby coming soon. Mom's Easy Cottage Cheese Lasagna, the best easy lasagna recipe around! But if you are nervous about it (or really want that bottom layer to be nice and tender) by all means throw a little sauce down in the pan. Veronica – this is one of my favorite lasagnas…this one and the classic Italian one. I'm Kelly and cooking comfort food from scratch is my jam, especially for this nest of mine. My mom will be the first to admit she’s not the greatest cook. I can take a hint. Your email address will not be published. So does my cousin. Thanks for all your great recipes! I substituted 1 lb of ground beef with hot Italian sausage. Big, big hit and totally worth my hunt to 3 different stores to find the right pan. “Can you put your lasagna recipe on your blog soon? In recent years I’ve been soaking my lasagna noodles in warm water for a while before using them. I’m assuming it goes in with the ricotta cheese mixture? And I only had 8oz. It was a great way to use some cottage cheese I had on hand. I’ve had this recipe from Mom for a few years, but just haven’t gotten around to making it. I hope all is doing well. My daughter immediately requested as her bday meal! Bake until the sauce is bubbly and cheese browned. It’s a gift, and not one we get to keep forever. Using no-boil lasagna noodles speeds up the whole throwing-together process but overall, this lasagna is easy peasy. Uncover, bake 20-30 minutes more until hot and bubbly. I usually buy a big thing of cheese and grate the whole thing then store in the fridge. Hi there, friends! Oh yeah, and I love your tip on using no-bake noodles. This was so good. It helps the filling stay creamier and not as dry - I use a cup of each when doing that.Freezable Meal: prepare recipe right up until the baking step and then cover with a double layer of lightly greased aluminum foil. We thank God for you, Courtney and the whole family! For the filling, in a medium bowl mix the ricotta, egg, basil, parsley, salt, and Parmesan cheese. You’ll bake this Homemade Lasagna just 45 minutes! It's full of ground beef, onion, spices, cottage cheese and Mozzarella cheese! The simple sauce simmers while you whip together the creamy filling and all the flavors blend into one of our favorite lasagnas of all time. This cheesy, saucy lasagna gets its wonderful flavor from a blend of beef, Italian sausage, three cheeses, and the secret ingredient, cottage cheese! 2 teaspoons sugar Homemade Sugar Cookie Frosting that Hardens! Pull up a chair, pour a glass and join me in my kitchen, let's cook together! I followed the 3 layers exactly as directed. This easy lasagna with cottage cheese recipe is quick, simple, and so delicious! Noodles and Cheese: Thanks for sharing, I’m glad you loved it! This recipe is great! The no boil are so easy and I like them better. Then Kevin said, “No, in that recipe you dont have to!” Oh I was so relieved I didn’t ruin another meal! Let stand 10 minutes before cutting. Stir in the tomatoes, tomato paste, sugar, dried basil, salt and pepper. Hope your Mom is doing well Courtney. Just finished making lasagna and have put it in the refrigerator for tomorrow!! Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. Definitely a new family favorite! Cat – this lasagna is not overly saucy so if you want it with more sauce you could one and a half the sauce ingredients or use lasagna noodles that you boil completely first (since the no-boil noodles soak up more sauce while cooking in the oven). https://www.food.com/recipe/my-moms-lasagna-no-ricotta-246084 I always think of the simmering, stacking, and sprinkling as a labor of love. Subscribe and get a FREE 5 Day Quick Start Guide to Meal Planning! Meathead and Carol loved it. He didn’t like it lol. A Few Notes: I do a couple things differently than my mom. This lasagne is a lighter version of the classic dish, filled with lean beef, summery peppers and cottage cheese. Privacy Policy: We hate spam and promise to keep your email address safe. I made this a few days ago for a dinner party. I started to pass on making this because of all the work involved, mainly the boiling of the noodles. Mel! As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases. Required fields are marked *. Early last month, I found myself squished in a tiny counseling room at our local hospital, surrounded by my closest family. Add the noodles to the pot and cook for about 2 minutes less than the package directions. This was delish!! They loved it and so did my mother and I. Yep! (maybe it’s the less discerning palates of 10&3 year olds) All loved it and I’m thankful there was enough for leftovers for tomorrow night!!!!! This is my favorite lasagna recipe hands down. My question is can I make it ahead and freeze it? Recommended Products Bake for 45 minutes and then remove the foil and bake, uncovered, for another 15 minutes. i love the curly edges. Thanks again for another winning recipe!!!!!!!!! Thank you for your husband’s service. My kids are hard to please but once I make something a few times, they’ll usually warm up to it.I even made your divine bread sticks with Bob’s 1 to 1 gluten free flour ( i only did half the recipe just to experiment and not be too wasteful if the results were a gluten free disaster — which happens often) although they didn’t twist and i had to re-roll the ‘twists’ back out into plain old sticks ( think play dough snakes), the end result was pretty tasty. Total Time: Divine Breadsticks or Cheesy Garlic BreadSteamed vegetable like broccoli or peasSimple green salad (or something more fancy like this Gourmet Green Salad). Also it needed to cook longer because it is bigger. My husband and I barely got away with a square. This is the kind of meal that makes you want to gather your loved ones close, hold hands, say grace, and eat together. Very tasty and easy to make: I didnt have Swiss cheese on hand so I doubled up on Mozzarella and added about a cup more of freshly grated Parmesan cheese. Mom's Lasagna. Category: Main Dish But following your mom’s recipe, my second attempt was a million times better! Perfect in every way. 6-ounce can tomato paste Thank you so much, glad you liked it. Caitlin – I always start with a layer of noodles – it seems to cook fine because there is a lot of liquid/sauce that permeates that bottom layer. Awesome! I love the simplicity of this recipe, especially considering how wonderful the results are! Anyway, my mom will be flattered to know you liked it so much! I’m craving it.”  She read my mind as I was planning to make it that weekend. I’ve been looking for a really good lasagna recipe with cottage cheese for a long time, and this is now my go to! Mom worked and had a house full of picky eaters, ... My Mom's Lasagna (No Ricotta) Recipe by Lisa1. IT WAS THE BEST EVER! We use cookies, see our full. Add the mince and cook until brown all over, then remove from the pan with a slotted spoon and set aside. My mom’s lasagna is no exception. Required fields are marked *. Layer as follows: 3 noodles, red sauce, creamy filling, mozzarella, 3 noodles, red sauce, creamy filling, mozzarella, 3 noodles, red sauce, remaining mozzarella. Next, spoon half of the drained cottage cheese over the noodles. Thanks for another great one Mel! Recipe by Chef Stacy. Good luck! Have I mentioned how much I love my Mom? I'm a student and it's easy enough to get the sauce together on a day where you're at home studying. Just made this lasagna for dinner tonight and it was a hit! That is so awesome to hear, Sue! Follow @melskitchencafe on Instagram and show me the recipes you are making from my blog using the hashtag #melskitchencafe. Thanks for the tips! This was SO good that my 4 kids (10 & under) polished the pan. I have made this lasagna for years and the only change I’ve made is to use no boil lasagna noodles. They couldn’t even tell that was the cheese in there!!! You will receive updates through email from Julie's Eats and Treats with amazing recipes to share with your family. Add the onions, peppers and mushrooms and fry over a medium heat until softened. If you want to use that size of pan, yes, you would probably want to halve the recipe. She uses Kraft American Cheese instead of the swiss and it is called Birmingham Lasagna. Freeze. Updated June 2015: I've recently updated (June 2015) some aspects of the recipe to reflect how I've changed it slightly over the years and to simplify the directions a bit. Grease a 25 x 20cm/10 x 8in baking dish and line the bottom with pasta. Hi I feel I use the egg in the cottage cheese do I have to bake he lasagne or can I put it in the fridge and bake it the next evening ? Hi I’m making this now and I noticed that you begin with the noodles, rather than a layer of sauce on the bottom of the baking dish. Yes, the other 1/2 teaspoon dried basil goes in with the ricotta. No one wishes for these kind of scares, but they do provide you with a conscious gratefulness, the kind you decide to practice rather than just passively feel. I’m so glad you enjoyed it! Also, I know it's not traditional, but I usually use half ricotta cheese and half cottage cheese. This lasagna is ten times better than the Better Homes and Gardens recipe, which I used last time. Subscribe to my Newsletter and come hang out with me on INSTAGRAM, or give me a follow on FACEBOOK or see what I’m pinning on PINTEREST. Glad this lasagna worked out well…thanks for letting me know. What a clown show, Dude youre a clown show. And mention me on Instagram. We are so thankful also for God’s healing power and Doctor’s expertise! I still have that piece of paper, tattered and stained after 25 years. I was surprised at how dry the lasagne was – I take it that it’s supposed to be less saucy than some other lasagnes? Absolutely amazing! So glad those days are over, thanks again! I am about to make this lasagna for the first time, but I don’t see any directions that include the Swiss and mozzarella cheeses? I have to tell you my mother in law doesn’t ever cook her noodles either, she just puts sauce on the bottom before layering the noodles. Meanwhile in a large bowl combine cottage cheese, eggs, salt, parsley and Parmesan. I use about 1/4 t of ground nutmeg. It was hard and bittersweet to go back to work after being home with my girls that long. Just so you know, it actually turned out delicious anyway! For no-boil noodles, I use the Barilla or Target Whole Wheat brands. . One of my guests remarked it was better then he had just eaten in Italy a month ago! Please note nutritional information for my recipes is calculated by a third party service and provided as a courtesy to my readers. I really appreciate it. 4 cups shredded mozzarella cheese Baked it in an 8 x 8″ dish. If you prefer to substitute the cottage cheese with ricotta cheese you can! Brittany – hello, again! 1 hour 55 minutes It is easy to make and so delicious! My mom would deny to her death that she is a great cook. don't think i'll like the no boil noodles. I know that sometimes people use cottage cheese in lasagna but wasnt sure if it could be a 1:1 switch? This is a quick overview of your shopping list! Since I found it, I use it all the time. Reduce the heat to simmer for at least 30 minutes. Whether that makes me inherently lazy or not, I’m not sure, but either way, no-boil lasagna noodles are where it’s at. A difficult surgery, but a successful one. I love seeing all the goodness you are whipping up in your kitchens! IT CAME OUT beautiful and delicious! It’s been passed through our family and is still our go-to recipe. Life is short and precious. Mom, do you mean 8-ounce or 15-ounce can? NOTE: some pans might not do well with extreme temperature changes.