As matcha is high in antioxidants, a lot of people believe it prevents heart disease, diabetes, cancer, and can even be used as a dieting aid. Looking to enjoy a matcha latte at home? CLICK HERE to access a 10-day whole food detox course to help you get rid of all toxins and reset your system. We make our matcha lattes with our Power Matcha mix. Drinking green tea and matcha are considered healthy and safe, but people sensitive to caffeine should be aware that both contain decent amounts of the stimulant. Pour the milk straight into the mug (latte art optional) and enjoy. If you were thinking the word matcha means something special, think again. Slowly heat up your milk on the stove just prior to boiling. Dieters may also benefit from this flavorful tea. Some of which include cardiovascular health and cholesterol, different types of infections, rheumatoid arthritis and some types of cancer. Research shows that matcha green tea is rich in catechins — substances that lower bad cholesterol, prevent hypertension, and reduce the risk of stroke. ¾ cup almond milk (or any other nut milk you like). However, their testing showed that among the six popular matcha brands they tested—DoMatcha, Encha Organic Matcha, Rishi Teahouse Matcha, Teavana Imperial Matcha, Kirkland Signature Green Tea and The Republic of Tea Double Green Matcha Tea—the powders were not contaminated by lead or other metals, and also did not contain pesticides. As of now, Cooperman says he doesn’t believe lead exposure is a risk in the matcha currently sold in the United States. If you want to make it frothy, consider purchasing an inexpensive frother or you can use a cappuccino machine (if you have one). It contains some of the same anti-aging compounds as red wine and dark chocolate, and has more healing properties than many other herbs, spices, fruits, and vegetables. Ceremonial matcha is meant to be consumed as is, without additives. Well, first, make sure your matcha is suitable for consumption. I also support my family by the work that I do here through advertising content, affiliates, and partnership/consultant links within content. This increases the nutrient-dense chlorophyll content of the tea and creates its lovely bright green color. Depriving the tea leaves of sunlight during the last few weeks before harvest enables the plants to increase their production of chlorophyll. Matcha (and matcha lattes as a result) saw a particular rise in global popularity over the last few years. The powder is then whisked with hot water. Antioxidants are critical to your health as they fight off free radicals that promote aging and chronic disease. Thanks in part to the health benefits associated with green tea, matcha also seems to be experiencing growth on the back of its reported health benefits. This may be due to the anti-inflammatory properties. Then, add warm water and whisk it. He tells me about how he and his team prepare the drink. Green tea has been around for a long time and is known as a healthy and healing type of tea. Both regular brewed green tea and matcha contain caffeine, but less than coffee or black tea. As stated above, the compounds in Green tea have anti-inflammatory properties that seem to benefit a variety of inflammatory issues. Not only will you be consuming natural caffeine, but matcha also has some amazing health benefits that you won’t find in your morning cup of joe. Check it out here. It does contain a small amount of caffeine, which makes it a nice alternative to coffee if you’re doing any type of cleanse. It is almost always ground by stone. Tell us about it in the comments! “We found that with a whisk you still have a few tiny lumps in the drink. This increases the levels of chlorophyll in the leaves, which gives matcha its vivid green colour. Green tea was developed centuries ago for the sole purpose of healing. Prior to being harvested, selected tea bushes are sheltered from the sun for about three weeks. The local lady always makes it for me with coconut milk, and it is wonderful! So instead of reaching for that glass of milk, you may want to reach instead for a cup of steaming hot Green tea or Matcha! The tea it’s made from – matcha – has been consumed for more than a thousand years. by Amy Goodrich | Nutrition, EatLove.Live Blog, Weight Loss. Studies have linked green tea to a variety of health benefits, like helping to prevent heart disease, type 2 diabetes and cancer, and even encouraging weight loss. Matcha is high in a catechin called EGCG (epigallocatechin gallate), which is believed to have cancer-fighting effects on the body. Since 2015, matcha has been rising in popularity amongst tea drinkers and Instagrammers alike. Green tea has been around for a long time and is known as a healthy and healing type of tea. She is based in Johannesburg, South Africa. But how does it become a latte – a beverage traditionally made with coffee? This means you’re getting consuming more antioxidants. (3) (4) (5) Matcha is especially high in epigallocatechin gallate (EGCG), which is shown to be helpful in supporting healthy in supporting healthy arteries. The tea’s unique blend of nutrients gives you endurance, stamina, and energy. Still, there have been some interesting findings. Since it has bacteria-destroying abilities, it prevents harmful bacteria from settling into your mouth and causing the rotting and decaying of your teeth. Add vanilla extract and/or honey to taste (optional), Sprinkle with cinnamon powder (cacao powder works too). Another benefit you may not realize that it provides is that it can help prevent tooth decay. On average, one cup (8-oz) of brewed coffee. ConsumerLab.com, an independent testing group, tested matcha products in 2015 and found that matcha provided 17 mg to 109 mg of EGCG per serving. Crowborough, To Western palates, matcha can taste unusual. This has been a big part of its recent global growth. The noble samurais of medieval Japan are said to take matcha green tea to prepare for battle. It wasn’t a tea that I really liked at first, but the many health benefits of green tea convinced me to add it into my regular tea drinking routine. Here’s a video of how to make traditional matcha tea. “A good matcha will not taste bitter at all; there will be a slightly sweet taste.”, Lead in green tea has been a concern. I know this was a lot of information. Watch the following video, or you can continue reading below. Matcha green tea also contains a class of antioxidants known as catechins. It was considered a highly sought after medicinal treatment because they saw it as the “wonder drug” of their time. And is it healthy? The Chinese are the ones who first realized the benefits it holds and found a way to harness it for consumption. In fact, it is so powerful that it is considered by many to be one of the best superfoods for overall health and immunity. It helps boost energy, focus, and concentration without the normal caffeine slump followed by a cup of coffee. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2855614/, https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3400335/, https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3573987/, https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3459493/. By comparison, the average brewed green tea provides 25 to 86 mg per serving. Many coffee shops now serve it as well, so you might consider requesting it the next time you go in for a cup of joe! Pour ¾ cup steamed milk of your choice into the cup and stir well. People are enthralled by the flavor of matcha green tea. However, green tea plants which are used for matcha are shade-grown for about a month before processing. How to Make a Matcha Latte + Health Benefits, Acne + Root Causes (Gut, Liver & Hormonal Health), https://www.katiestewartwellness.com/2019/01/01/how-to-make-matcha-latte/, Pan-Seared Salmon with Pesto Bruschetta Zoodles, High levels of the detoxifier, chlorophyll, Contains the cancer-fighting antioxidants, catechins, 1 ½ cups hot coconut, almond, or cashew milk. Janice is a writer and editor. Thanks in part to the health benefits associated with green tea, matcha also seems to be experiencing growth on the back of its reported health benefits. Energy Bomb Mix - For long-lasting energy, Magic Mushroom Mix - For your immune system. It’s actually been used in ritual tea ceremonies since the 12th century. “Your palate will develop,” he explains. I love having this with my Super Chewy Paleo Cookies as the perfect afternoon pick-me-up. Webster Griffin, And it’s particularly high in epigallocatechin gallate or EGCG — 3 times more than other green teas. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. Furthermore, the drink’s quality and taste will depend on the grade of matcha used, and how it is prepared. While they do vary in price, no one grade of matcha is “better” than the other – they all simply have different uses. Seriously…there are so many benefits, that this short post really doesn’t do it justice! Antioxidants are critical to your health as they fight off free radicals that promote aging and chronic disease. But hopefully overall this convinces you to at least add in some green tea to your diet here and there. Once harvested, the leaves, or tencha, are stripped of their stems and veins and ground into a fine, silky powder. Matcha is a type of green tea made by taking young tea leaves and grinding them into a bright green powder.