We send our FREE Cookie Recipe Cards each month! I love the look of the finished product! If you want to add the glaze, put it on while the cookies are still warm. Could one use these extracts to flavor plain sparkling water? Sounds great! I tried the first recipe and was underwhelmed with the result, except that the colors are so pretty I had to share them. Gradually whisk about one fourth of the hot juice mixture into egg yolks. Adding the wax is actually pretty easy. I have seen larger ones but none that small and cute. Up your frosting intensity with flavor! The tart, terrific taste of key lime flavors in a light and fluffy buttercream make this a new flavor of frosting that goes well on any tropical baked treat. © Copyright 2020 Meredith Corporation. Chill dough in an airtight container for 2 hours. Add soda, cream of tartar and salt and mix well. Homemade extracts are easy to make and are great for gifting. Cream butter and sugar with a mixer for 2-3 minutes. Cooking time includes extraction time and filtering time. sorry! The first procedure is to zest one Persian lime, chop up the zest, and infuse in vodka. Some of our favorite seasonal surprises come in the form of cakes, whether it’s a simple Bundt or a seven-layer masterpiece filled with chocolate or your favorite fruity preserves. I tried the first recipe and was underwhelmed with the result, except that the colors are so pretty I had to share them. Lime Sugar Cookies are delicious and simple and have the perfect amount of lime flavor in them with the addition of lime zest and lime juice in the recipe! So, here are the rest of the materials you will need: You don’t need to do a wax seal but it does make the bottles look a little fancier. I’m wanting to make a mango extract. Hope that helps! For mint extract, add leaves and vodka to a sterilized canning jar. Gradually add powdered sugar, one cup at a time. I used a 9mm tape, which fit within the caps of the bottles I used. Too stiff and your frosting will be difficult to spread. This recipe only makes a small amount of glaze but it has a very strong flavor so you just need a tiny amount on each cookie. Whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt in a separate bowl. But what do you do with them? Do you think I should pour out some vodka and add fresh to dilute it a bit? I don’t have a microplane or Everclear. So delicious. The classic recipe is 3 parts tequila, 2 parts triple sec, and 1 part freshly squeezed lime juice, and you should probably start off pretty close to that, but my personal favorite proportions are 4-3-2. Once that is all mixed well, you add the egg, vanilla, lime juice and lime zest. You can add half of a fresh vanilla bean inside each for decoration. You can add a simple lime glaze if you want – it adds even more lime flavor and sweetness to these delicious cookies. Add butter cubes in 6 additions, whisking constantly after each addition until butter melts and mixture is well combined. Squeeze the juice out of the lime and add that to the mixture also. Bring the frosting back to room temperature and re-whip before using. To store: Frosting should be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 2 weeks and can be frozen for up to 6 weeks. Can’t have too much lime anything around. Does the quality of the vodka matter or can I use the cheap stuff? Mr. K suggested I also get a stamp to add to the top. For vanilla another recipe says to let the extract develop for 6 months to achieve a deep and dynamic flavor. Beat sugar and butter with a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment on medium speed until fluffy, 3 to 5 minutes. But the kitchen isn’t dark! I use 16-ounce canning jars* to make my extracts. These simple and spectacular Southern cakes deserve a comeback, These sides will be the real stars of Thanksgiving dinner. Bake in preheated oven until a wooden pick inserted in centers of cakes comes out clean, 18 to 21 minutes. Hi! I’m glad you were able to find uses for the whole fruit. Thanks. Top with third Cake Layer; repeat Frosting piping and Curd spreading. Once you have revealed the lighter part of the peel underneath, move on to the next part of the lime. Keep the funnel covered until the extract has passed through it to minimize evaporation. It’s crazy how quickly kids catch on to stuff – I think they are almost as good as I am and they have only been a few times! All Rights Reserved. I like to make different ones and package them in decorative bottles. You can use food grade glycerin in place of vodka. Let sit for about 4 weeks before using. Required fields are marked *. Thanks for the info. I did not have any issues with an off odor when the mint turned brown. Add the powdered sugar slowly while mixing with a fork until desired consistency is reached. For orange or lime extract… When the extract is ready, you can pour into small bottles with a funnel for gifting. Use a cookie scoop to scoop the dough into balls and then roll each ball in a bowl filled with a little bit of sugar. This winter has been a little trickier since we have a newborn at home so we are getting a little more creative and my husband has been taking each kid for a one-on-one ski date individually. Lean your bottle a little to one side while still in the wax before lifting upright, to create a drip down the side of the bottle when you lift the bottle out of the wax. Shake every few days. Then add the baking soda, cream of tartar and salt. I have not made extracts without alcohol before. Southern Living is a registered trademark of, These Haircuts Are Going To Be Huge in 2021, 140 Thanksgiving Side Dishes That’ll Steal the Show, 7 Paint Colors We’re Loving for Kitchen Cabinets in 2020, 50 Books Everyone Should Read in Their Lifetime. I think the 10-lime version would yield a much stronger flavored extract. Whew. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs. It’s a lot of work to teach 4 kids to ski at the same time! Here are 20 delicious ways to use limes. Wondering how to take your cake to the next level? If you want to glaze the tops of the cookies, add the glaze while the cookies are still warm. These lime cookies were fantastic! If you are following a medically restrictive diet, please consult your doctor or registered dietitian before preparing this recipe for personal consumption. Invert cakes onto wire racks, and let cool completely, about 1 hour. We received 2-3 tiny “fruit essence” bottles with our Soda Stream, but they’re super expensive to replace. This cookie recipe is so simple and everyone loves these sugar cookies with a fun little twist of lime!. They hate it. You could use vegetable glycerin in place of vodka should you prefer a non alcoholic process. Melt wax beads down. Touch device users, explore by touch or with swipe gestures. I had this question too. Lime oil uses the same preparation method as other citrus oils – simply steeping the zest in warm olive oil followed by straining. -, List of ingredients that you can add to your cart by selecting and then choosing "Add Selected to Cart". For all extracts, store in a dark, cool place. The ingredients that set these cookies apart is the addition of the zest and juice from one lime. Seal jar and shake. This is awesome! Enjoy! Learn how to fix runny frosting with these buttercream frosting tips and tricks. The trendy haircuts you’ll be seeing everywhere next year. A squeeze of lime or sprinkling of lime zest can make all the difference in a recipe, whether it's a rich meat dish or decadent dessert. this link is to an external site that may or may not meet accessibility guidelines. Garnish cake with lime zest. Sign up for exclusive offers, recipes, and how-tos by entering your email address, ATTENTION BUSINESSES: APPLY TO BE A WILTON WHOLESALE CUSTOMER! Place the cookie dough balls on a cookie sheet and bake at 375° for 8-10 minutes. For those worried about the alcohol content; the alcohol in this extract when used in a proportion of 1 tsp extract to 2 cups of liquid is less than that of 2 tsp vanilla extract in 3 cups liquid (a normal amount used in ice cream for instance). It also has the benefit of storing much better than zest alone. Tightly close lid, then shake a few times. Hi I’m planning to do my first batch here soon. Substitutions: Bottled key lime juice and regular lime zest may be substituted for the fresh key limes. You can add a few fresh mint leaves for decoration but advise your gift receiver to remove them once they brown. Nutrient information is not available for all ingredients. Mine will be orange extract. Too soft and your decorations will droop. Lime Sugar Cookies are perfectly soft and I love that they have so much lime flavor in them that you don’t need any frosting. sugar cookies with a fun little twist of lime! While Curd chills, prepare the Cake Layers: Preheat oven to 350°F. I made vanilla, mint, lemon, lime and orange extracts. The second is to microplane 10 key limes and infuse in Everclear. Easy to make extract turns the zest of 12 limes into the flavor equivalent of about 60 limes and won't leave bits of zest in your pie, pudding, punch, etc. Southern Living is part of the Meredith Home Group. I’m sharing how to make extracts in a variety of flavors as well as how to package them for cute gifts. Learn how to season this Southern kitchen staple in five easy steps. You can also use a citrus press like this one to get all the juice out of the lime. 5.7 g the vanilla pods, mint leave, citrus peels) before transferring the extract to another container. Add key lime zest and mix until blended and smooth. I want to make lime extract today. The butter needs to be softened (at room temperature), but using melted butter will ruin the cookies. I have a cake recipe I want to enhance. We love to eat, cook and travel for food. Prepare the Frosting: Beat butter with an electric mixer on medium speed until smooth, about 1 minute. All pure extracts have alcohol in them…even the ones in the store. Stir in lime zest and vanilla. Notify me of follow-up comments by email. Remove peels after extract is ready. Total Carbohydrate they came out so soft and chewy! The fruit's high acid content and tartness makes it a powerful cooking ingredient. Mix the butter and lime juice together. This cookie recipe is so simple and everyone loves these sugar cookies with a fun little twist of lime! To get the juice from a lime, I just cut the lime in half and squeeze it really hard.