Use of this website is subject to mandatory arbitration and other terms and conditions, select. But the prep and cook time does not equal this. Egg Tofu is Japanese steamed tofu made of eggs and dashi mixture that is steamed till firm, chilled, then served with a dashi and soy sauce broth. Add comma separated list of ingredients to exclude from recipe. Sometimes you need a quick easy and delicious recipe for tofu and this recipe is it.
Your email address will not be published. Chawanmushi is always served hot. Although you can eat egg tofu raw, I highly recommend you pan fry egg tofu to bring out the rich egg flavors and add a beautiful golden hue to the egg tofu.

• 1/2 teaspoon salt Heat vegetable oil in a large, deep saucepan over medium heat. But I love the taste too much to give up trying. Cut the package of Japanese egg tofu open from the middle. We enjoyed watching the Midnight Diner series on Netflix. Place the plate to steam for 8 minutes. I also figured out a new trick. I edited my step, so it’s less confusing. Egg tofu is almost always chilled (or at least cool).

Steamed Tofu with Minced Prawn (蝦膠蒸釀豆腐) from Christine’s Recipes . In Japan, we call this dish Tamago Dofu (玉子豆腐). The crisp skin adds another layer to the texture. 340 calories; protein 24.7g 50% DV; carbohydrates 13.8g 4% DV; fat 23.2g 36% DV; cholesterol 93mg 31% DV; sodium 2630.5mg 105% DV.

• 1 teaspoon vegetable oil ©2020 Just One Cookbook, All Rights Reserved. My preferred way to enjoy egg tofu is sliced and pan fried in a tablespoon of oil. to help give you the best experience we can. I was hoping to get new visitors like you from searching the show’s recipe! 6. You have to be super gentle with it, and I am not a cautious cook.

However, we recommend consumers to heat up or “cook” the product to minimise the chance of getting sick.”.

In Episode 5 of ‘Midnight Diner: Tokyo Stories” Season 1, the egg tofu is served on the steamed rice. Fry the egg tofu until each side is golden brown about 2 to 4 minutes on medium heat. Or can I cut it into serving size pieces and freeze it? There is an equivalent Chinese dish of steamed egg that is similar. Hi Thao! © Copyright 2020, 20 Things to Cook This Month That Have Nothing to Do With Thanksgiving, 15 Vegan Muffin Recipes for Easy Breakfasts, 15 Comfort Food Dinners That Start With Creamy Alfredo Sauce, 2-Ingredient Snacks That Are Too Easy Not to Make, Use Your Stale Bread in These Savory Bread Puddings, 13 Spiked Apple Cider Cocktails to Celebrate the Season, 15 Comfort Food Casseroles Inspired by World Cuisines, 12 Recipes to Turn Extra Chicken into Healthy Main Dish Salads, 15 Ground Beef Soup Recipes for Easy Weeknight Dinners, Ground Turkey Slow Cooker Recipes for Easy Weeknight Meals, 11 Top Chicken Casseroles That Lean to the Healthy Side, 12 Classic Italian Recipes Made Easy in the Instant Pot, Nutrition Note: If you are using small shrimps, you can place 2 or 3 on top of each egg tofu piece. Try to eat it as soon as possible because it’s delicious freshly pan fried. Egg tofu tastes rich and fragrant like scrambled eggs when pan fried. Thanks for reading my post! Great recipe!! The dipping sauce described is quite spicy, so temper the ingredients to your taste. Dip fried tofu into dipping sauce. Crack the eggs and whisk well. In a small saucepan, bring 2 Tbsp mirin to boil and let the alcohol evaporate. Dip tofu slices into bowl of beaten egg and fry in hot oil until lightly browned, about 3 minutes per side. I assume it’s similar? 3.

Transfer to a serving plate/bowl. Hope you enjoy yours too!

The show features Japanese diner/home cooking recipes that are not your standard Japanese food served in restaurants in the U.S. Sorry… I wonder if it’s easier to invert the egg tofu with a silicone mold. Hi Margaret! It is steamed, chilled, then served with savory dashi broth. Am i missing something? Let’s start cooking, shall we? I just started watching this show on Netflix and always look up the food featured in each episode afterwards. This also prevents overheating the bottom of Nagashikan from the heat beneath. With your recipe, I’ll be sure to try it. different types of tofu you’ve never heard of, 6 Tips to Eliminate Undesirable Lumps in Your Hot Cocoa, 5-Minute Fragrant & Crispy Pan-Fried Egg Tofu With Chopped Cilantro. Sprinkle salt on both sides of tofu slices.

Thank you for your feedback.

Will definitely be making these again, and again and again…. Thanks for reading my post! Gather all the ingredients. I learned about your blog searching for a recipe for a dish I learned about on that show. NOTE: You do not need to press egg tofu the same way you do with brick tofu. • 2 teaspoons sugar I can’t let my copyrighted images taken away from my site, not just one or two, but A LOT OF THEM.

A little on the salty side but still good. this link is to an external site that may or may not meet accessibility guidelines. Transfer it on a plate and set aside. Usukuchi soy sauce is more commonly used in western Japan, such as Osaka. These silky egg tofu with small chunks of minced meat are simmered in a thick savoury … I think you can as long as you keep it covered somehow. You found my blog when you were looking for midnight diner recipe!!! I heard about this show for a long time and finally watched it. Garnish with green onion. Yes I’m planning on it. I actually have a question for you.

When I saw this on 3 Hungry Tummies, it looked so so delicious. Chinese Stir-fry King Oyster Mushroom With Beef and Bell Peppers, Sticky Rice Dumplings: How To Make Authentic Zong Zi At Home, Quick and Savory Vegan Chow Mein With Carrots and Jew’s Ear, Beef and Bitter melon Stir-fry In Soybean Sauce, Chinese Steamed Lion Head Pork Meatballs With Quail Eggs, Japanese Steamed Egg Tofu with Shrimp and Carrot, Easy and Healthy 6-color Rainbow Sushi Rolls. • 1/2 bowl water The pot can’t have too much steam (resulting in high temperature), as it will lead to the protein being hardened and solidified. Once boiling, turn off the heat and set aside. Amount is based on available nutrient data. So far we finished 5 recipes including this. But if you don’t have any around, you can make it at home easy. Another big difference is that egg tofu is not vegan because it has eggs whereas silken tofu is typically vegan. I'm Nami, a Japanese home cook based in San Francisco.

Egg Tofu also called Japanese tofu. Hope you enjoy(ed) the recipe! I wonder if it might be easier (though less traditional) to bake the custard in a low oven in a water bath like creme caramel or creme brûlée? Look for the tubs of brick tofu and you’re likely to find egg tofu in a tube next to the other special varieties of tofu. Easy and savory steamed egg tofu that takes only 15 minutes.

Repeat for the other side of the tube. I’ve even seen this tube-shaped egg tofu sold in a Thai grocery store.
You can slice it up and enjoy it with soy sauce or chili sauce. Learn what egg tofu is and why you’ll love it. Thanks for lovely recipe! And it’s jam-packed with protein. We cooked the tofu while the rice cooked and in no time at all dinner was done and delicious.

Now I gotta find a Nagashikan. I really work hard to create my site, taking each pictures, and I do not want Google to relate my images with this site. • 3 teaspoons ketchup