“It becomes more than pleasurable—it becomes addictive.” It’s like how South Americans chewed coca plant leaves for centuries, but the plant wasn’t a problem until its concentrated version, cocaine, hit the market, she says. “Replace it with a healthy activity.”. If you tell yourself that you can never eat sugar again, you’ll implode. ), At work, stick around for the beginning of celebrations like birthdays, but excuse yourself as the cake is cut to avoid temptation. At the same time, add more vegetables to your diet. 1) Understand your sugar addiction is real. The strong mint flavor overwhelms your taste buds, which instantly removes your mouth’s need for something sweet. Why not set a goal with a friend to walk 30 miles this month? YOUR INFORMATION WILL NOT BE SHARED WITH A THIRD PARTY. In my free video series, I show you how to do this using 4 simple daily habits. In my free video series, I discuss why a 40-day short-term goal works best. It’s destroyed by things like low blood sugar, which is a symptom of sugar withdrawal. Do I Need a Beauty Fridge for My Skin Care Products? Speed Up Your Metabolism Using The 4-A Strategy, 5 Non-Egg Breakfasts for Low-Carb Dieters, Giving Up Sugar is Hard. It was fun to try and “one-up” each other. If you’re one of the few who are disciplined enough to set “forever” goals, then more power to you! Sugar is everywhere and seemingly in everything. ~Galatians 6:9. Call a friend to vent about a stressful day, or listen to your favorite music. “If you’re taking in too much sugar, it’s likely the rest of the family is too,” says Melton. During that time, do something fun to release any sadness or boredom. spaghetti sauce, french fries, burgers) because they know it increases the crave-factor of the food. Start down a positive path by setting a short-term goal to stop eating sugar. I don’t want you to get caught up in a victim mentality, but there is some power in understanding that sugar is addictive.

There’s nothing wrong with a bit of HEALTHY competition! The 4 Daily Habits in my free video series are No Exception Rules. Let us not grow weary of doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up. She warns that the first five days will be hard, potentially with intense cravings, irritability, and sleeplessness. “You’re looking at something that has a high amount of a substance that will overpower what we normally should eat,” says Dr. Tarman. “Do something that’s pleasurable, because that’s what people are seeking when they want the sugar,” says Melton. “They don’t feel like they’ve finished eating until they’ve had a dessert.”, Even if you’re at a healthy weight, all that sugar can cause major health problems. These nutrients help flush out the toxins. “If you don’t have a Froot Loop, the apple tastes great,” she says. Could hypnosis help you quit sugar? 5) Cut your sweet-tooth with mint. (Had too much sugar? If you feel shame about your inability to give up sugar, you will probably deal with the shame by eating more sugar. Its main objective is survival. Calories are your body’s fuel, so when the tank is low, it makes you crave the highest calories food…i.e.

PRIVACY POLICY INFORMATION: WHEN YOU PROVIDE YOUR NAME, EMAIL, OR ANY OTHER PERSONAL INFORMATION ON THIS WEBSITE, YOU WILL BE ADDED TO AN EMAIL LIST RUN BY DR. BECKY FITNESS, LLC. TERMS OF SERVICE | AFFILIATE DISCLAIMER | DISCLAIMER. 4) Avoid extreme hunger. Set a goal to give up sugar for 1 day, 1 week or 1 month. This feeling is so uncomfortable that most of us go back on our word and give in. If sugar is standing between you and weight loss, then you might think that going cold-turkey and giving up sugar overnight is a wise thing to do. You can lessen the symptoms and move past your sugar addiction with the following strategies.

Start by removing all sugary foods, including sneaky sources like fat-free salad dressings, jarred sauces, and flavored yogurt. Our bodies need carbohydrates to function, so it’s natural that our bodies would crave it in sugar form, says Vera Tarman, MD, author of Food Junkies: The Truth About Food Addiction and medical director of Renascent Rehab, Canada’s largest drug and alcohol treatment center. Not only can it lead to heart problems, but you might experience headaches, bloating, and energy crashes, says Melton. This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged. For the rest of us, short-term works best. Nutritious fruits and vegetables contain sugar, but those small doses are totally healthy.