The cushions are HUGE. Stuff your foam into the cushion covers. That's how the pros do it. This simply made the process faster and easier for me, but you can make this cover using a simple sewing machine at home. This is the plan, it's good - it makes the cover fit snugly over your cushion. Don’t put the zipper in yet. GiveAway: FOUR PRIZES!! If your couch has multiple cushions rather than one large foam - no problem! Washing machine - I used a dying process that made use of a washing machine. 3 years ago. I love the tutorial. On my cushion, they made the zippers extra long. Rip the whole cushion cover apart. What a great tutorial! My dye said to leave them for a maximum of one hour before the rinse cycle begins – I used a full hour. If you slide the pillow into a dry cleaner bag it will go into the cover rather nicely. This instructable will bring you through how I made a very easy couch cushion cover and tie dyed it to make a feature piece in my living room. It made the ends pucker sometimes, because it's so hard to turn corners and not lose the pins! That is, 3" for the depth of the foam, plus 1" so that the zipper started a little bit in from the edge. You may have typed the address incorrectly or you may have used an outdated link. I put a velco flap in the back. I checked around for people to sew slip covers… I have a HUGE old couch I've been wanting to make new covers for--the center of the couch is flanked by two chaise-lounge type chairs. Exactly the same as you did for the folded edge corners, mark 3" up (along the short side of the fabric) from the seam you just made. It is much easier to fit the cushion in if your zipper goes across the entire length of the cushion. I'm not a professional, but I did re-cover the bay window cushion pictured just above and included piping. This is the giveaway of the year! The front was curved and the back was flat. Scissors / roller cutter, measuring tools, long straight edges. Make sure the opening/closure area meets without a huge … As your seam was 1/2 inch, this means that the mark should be 3.5" up from the edge of the fabric. Welcome everyone--friends and new visitors alike to my homemaking blog, Comin’ Home! Not sure who got the better deal - ha ha! I won't give instructions here - there are lots of resources online that will do a better job of that. Participated in the Home Improvement Contest 2017, Participated in the Makerspace Contest 2017. It is heavy duty enough to withhold constant use, they are large enough, and it is easy fabric to work with. If you are dying your fabric, as I did, the neutral colour takes dye pretty well. Although covering a couch may seem like an intimidating project, this method is so easy … Now rip out the basting stitches so that the zipper shows from the outside. Thanks for this amazing tutorial :D. Hi, Thanks a lot for the tutorial! The basic idea is to pin pieces of fabric that are the general size and shape of the item's various planes on wrong side out. You need a piece of fabric that will go around the entire circumference of your foam in one wrap (1 seam at the back). I keep the zipper closed and push and pull until I get the cushion worked all the way into the cover and it is smooth and even on both ends. I covered a book shelf shaped like a podium with black poplin. Although covering a couch may seem like an intimidating project, this method is so easy anyone can do it! I have a HUGE old couch I've been wanting to make new covers for--the center of the couch is flanked by two chaise-lounge type chairs. I've been … to make the seam allowances even. Separate your material and refold it so that one of your short seams is now the centre. I suggest that using heavy duty drop cloths, you might need more dye than recommended. Great tips! I just finished my two first cushions, and this was my first real sewing project. So for the next cushions I am going to buy new zippers to hope this doesn't happen again.