Breadfruit is delicious mashed or sautéed with garlic and oil. Roasting makes it easy to peel and core breadfruit without having to deal with its sticky latex sap, which can make slicing it difficult. This versatile fruit can also be candied, pickled, or cut into strips to make breadfruit French fries. Instructions. Along the way, we sold pretty much everything we owned (twice! But this fruit, originally native to New Guinea, holds a wealth of nutrients in its versatile flesh. The standard offering tastes like sweet potatoes. Why Don't We Keep Daylight Saving Time All Year? Flip to brown on both sides. Same category as cassava root for me. This is a very basic recipe with ingredients you should be able to find anywhere. Parade: What the Heck Is a Breadfruit and How Do You Eat It? Coat the breadfruit in vegetable oil and wrap it in aluminum foil to keep it moist. Then, I work around the fruit cutting the skin off. Tell us in the comments! Throw a whole breadfruit into your beach bonfire and pull it out when the skin is black. This prickly oval fruit is very popular throughout Southeast Asia and the Pacific Islands, and when cooked, it tastes similar to—you guessed it!—freshly-baked bread. Celeb interviews, recipes, wellness tips and horoscopes delivered to your inbox daily. When selecting a breadfruit, make sure is firm and has greenish-yellow skin, with only a little brown cracking. Check out all the special deals from our podcast sponsors! What the Heck is a Breadfruit and How Do You Eat It? There was an error in your submission. Just made some. Place it on a baking sheet. Meet the New 2020 Miss USA and Her Court of 50. Although the strongest breadfruit taste correlation is to freshly-baked bread when cooked, the starch-rich breadfruit can also taste similar to potatoes, though riper varieties taste sweeter because the starch converts to sugar. That’s it! The plant spread throughout Asia and the Pacific and eventually was brought to the Caribbean by the British. Just a ½ cup of breadfruit provides 25% of your daily recommended fiber intake. It grows well in the tropics and is one of the highest-yielding fruit plants. You are posting comments too quickly. While you can cook breadfruit in a variety of ways, roasting it in the oven keeps the spongy fruit from becoming mushy, as it would with boiling. Breadfruit sap is sticky and can stain your clothing. Refresh your page, login and try again. How To Cook Breadfruit? Turn the heat down, cover, and let simmer for 20-30 minutes until the breadfruit is soft when poked with a fork. Slice the breadfruit quarters thinly. Cooking with Breadfruit. Breadfruit can be fried, roasted, pickled, marinated, candied, and added to curries. But the fruit looks odd hanging off the ends of the branches, weighing the tree down.It’s round, hard, and heavy, with scaly green skin. An email has been sent to you. Add the breadfruit … Allow the breadfruit to cool slightly and peel off the skin with a knife. Recipes. This stuff is so nasty tasting by itself I thought I can see why it has to be disguised with a lot of spices! Lay your breadfruit slices in the hot oil in a single layer. Starchy breadfruit has a texture similar to a potato and a yeasty scent like freshly baked bread when it's cooked. Breadfruit must be in hot water for fifteen minutes before becoming soft enough to eat. 150 Best Quotes About Life. Click here. Cut an "X" into the skin at the bottom of the breadfruit to allow steam to escape while cooking. If you have a mandoline onboard, use it! Soak the breadfruit in a bowl of cold water for two minutes to remove much of the sticky latex sap from its skin. Your use of this website constitutes and manifests your acceptance of our User Agreement, Privacy Policy, Cookie Notification, and awareness of the California Privacy Rights. We will never sell your email or send spam. You don’t need a container for breadfruit; it can simply be placed on the fridge rack. My husband and I have been cruising over 13 years and 12,000 miles, first on a Tayana 37 monohull and now on a 34' Gemini catamaran. It looks as though you’ve already said that. State of Hawaii Department of Agriculture: Brief Breadfruit Basics, Go Home, Cook Rice: A Guide to Buying and Cooking the Fresh Foods of Hawaiʻi; Joan Namkoong, Canoe Plants of Ancient Hawai`i; Lynton Dove White, University of Florida Sarasota County Extension: Florida Food Fare -- Breadfruit. What the Heck is a Chioggia Beet? Bring to a boil. conditions of our. Their adventures over the past five years have brought them through the Caribbean, South Pacific, Southeast Asia, and the Indian Ocean. easy-to-grow, high carbohydrate food source, high in complex carbohydrates and has a lower glycemic index compared to other white starches, Guide to Storing Food without Refrigeration, " data-id="twitter" class="ss-twitter-color" data-ss-ss-network-id="twitter" data-ss-ss-post-id="44724" data-ss-ss-location="popup" data-ss-ss-permalink="https://theboatgalley.com/how-to-cook-breadfruit/" data-ss-ss-type="share" data-has-api="true" rel="nofollow">. Turn Basic Toast Into Fancy Tartines With These 24 Open-Faced Sandwich Recipes, Oh Deer! Whoops! What the Heck Is Salsify and How Do You Cook It? They share their adventures on YouTube and Facebook. You seem to be logged out. Veterans Day 2020 Deals, Discounts and Freebies to Honor Those Who Served, Carrie Ann Inaba Breaks One of the Biggest COVID-19 Rules on, Filling Impossible Shoes! It looks as though you’ve already said that. This is my favorite method to eat breadfruit. Serve breadfruit with spicy dishes like curry, because the blandness of the breadfruit meshes well with strong flavors. . I’VE STARTED CRUISING AND I’M FRUSTRATED AND OVERWHELMED, living on a boat • cooking & food • gear preparing to cruise • overcoming problems. Whoops! What the Heck Is a Fiddlehead Fern and How Do You Eat It? Most commonly it’s sold when fairly large (soccer ball size), green and mature. The fruit is dense in the middle, then porous, then solid flesh. of our. While the nutritious fruit can be cooked in a number of ways, it is best eaten roasted with salt and pepper. Serve the roasted breadfruit with butter, salt and pepper. Plus How to Enjoy These Beautiful Beets. Breadfruit is delicious mashed or sautéed with garlic and oil. Hi! Then it still had that underlying nasty taste. We've Got Tons of Info to Help You Decide. Your use of this website constitutes and manifests your acceptance Why Do People Have Such Serious Expressions in Early 20th Century Photos? This has provided the world with an easy-to-grow, high carbohydrate food source. See more recommended boat and galley gear in The Boat Galley's Amazon Store. Sprinkle them with salt or cinnamon and sugar and serve them while hot. If your sauce gets too thick, add more water and stir. Breadfruit curry is a great vegetarian option. Ad Choices. Immature fruit, which is spiky and bright green in color, tends to be rubbery when cooked, warns the State of Hawaii Department of Agriculture. We didn’t need it. [More] No Bitter, Just Sweet, Do you need all those shoes in your closet when you start cruising? Your email address will not be published. Add garlic, ginger, onion, and pepper to oil and let cook for five minutes, stirring occasionally. Tips. Orange Raisin Sauce is the Condiment Your Holiday Ham Has Been Missing. Related: What the Heck is a Rambutan and How Do You Eat It? Oven roasting is a helpful step when you want to fry breadfruit, which grows in the Caribbean, Pacific islands and Southeast Asia. Unripe fruits have bright green flesh and secrete white sap when cut. I'm Carolyn Shearlock. Do not sell my personal information. Required fields are marked *. Refresh your page, login and try again. Check out The Boat Galley Cookbook on Amazon. I use coconut oil and start with ¼ cup. Repeat for all your slices. 'Calorie Deficits' Are the Only Proven Weight Loss Strategy, According to Health TikTok—But Is It True? The Resource Center has four FREE mini-courses to guide you to just the info you need, whether you’re discovering what living on a boat would be like, preparing to cruise, overwhelmed with the first-year learning curve, or needing help with cooking aboard. Amy Alton writes the blog Out Chasing Stars. Filed Under: Recipes Tagged With: Recipes, I am from the Caribbean and regularly eat breadfruit; roasted, fried, salad, or as part of our national dish (oil down) but never curried. It should feel like a cooked potato. Want over 800 boat-friendly recipes, substitution lists and tips for cooking on a boat? Once you’ve followed the instructions for peeling and prepping the breadfruit, try a few of my favorite ways to cook it: If you’re more ambitious, here are two easy recipes to try. . Baby breadfruit tastes like artichokes, while soft and brown ripe ones taste sweet. Easting local breadfruit is a great way to eat healthily and cut down on the carbon footprint of your food. Choose mature fruit that has a smooth surface, greenish-yellow color and a dappling of brown crusty patches between the segments on its skin. Read our privacy policy. Don’t worry … It’s much like preparing a pineapple with its hard outer skin and an inner core. I love the looks of your recipe and would try it as soon as one if found. Cut the breadfruit in half and remove any remaining core pieces. Bake the breadfruit in the oven at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for one hour. By creating an account, you accept the terms and Her expertise is in healthy eating, vegan choices and organic foods. Salt and serve! Some people also like to eat it mashed with coconut milk and baked in banana leaves. We Pick 7 Candidates Who Could Take Over as, Beauty and Brains! Cruising allows you to discover new favorite foods as you travel. Add garlic, ginger, onion, and pepper to oil and let cook for five minutes, stirring occasionally. Oil or more as needed (coconut or neutral oil). Heat the oil in a saucepan or stockpot using medium-high heat. Mouthwatering recipes, handy kitchen tips, and more delivered to your inbox. Get ’Em Here! Sorry, comments are currently closed. Coat a knife with vegetable oil and cut out the stem of the fruit. Slow down. What the Heck is a Rambutan and How Do You Eat It? I also wash the breadfruit here, as the little hairs tend to get everywhere. Many Caribbean specialty food stores carry breadfruit, and you can also try your local farmers’ market. Some people even use breadfruit pulp to make paper! Thanks for signing up! It produces throughout the year and one tree can yield up to 450 pounds of fruit. She and her husband are in the final stretch of their circumnavigation on their 44-foot catamaran, Starry Horizons. Empty comment. I hope these instructions and recipes have given you the courage to try breadfruit. Incorrect email or username/password combination. We want to cut out the dense middle part and throw it away, leaving the edible porous and solid flesh. I often see breadfruit chips made with the porous part and I like it. I’M PREPARING TO CRUISE — HOW DO I GET READY FOR THIS?? Please try again. You now have four large chunks of breadfruit to cook with. Get into the Holiday Spirit with 30 Christmas Movies on Disney+, Jeannie Mai's Fiancé Jeezy Shares a Health Update After Her Life-Threatening, Ahead of the Season 22 Premiere, We Ranked the 30 Best.