This surname is often given to lumbermen. Your email address will not be published. This Old French topographical surname is a derivative of classical Latin word ‘fons’ and means ‘well’ or ‘fountain’. Originating from the old French word soule, Soulier means ‘platform’. But there is a clear difference between the two that can be seen when listening to a native speaker pronounce names. Here are some exceptions: Ë: The pronunciation of “Ë” (E with a trema) is like the e in the English word “bet.”, É: The pronunciation of “É” (E with an acute accent) is somewhere between the ee in “see” and the e in “bet.”. our comprehensive list of the 100 most popular Vietnamese names. ???? B.A., American Studies, Yale University; Olivia Valdes is the senior editor of ThoughtCo and the founder of Zen Admissions, a college admissions advising service. A variant of Jordan, this surname means ‘one who descends’. equally tricky to pronounce. :). This surname is a variation of ‘beautiful’, as it has the French word ‘belle’ in it. Anita Le Beau is a famous Canadian filmmaker. Their phonetic spelling and pronunciation change depending on the local culture and language. In Old French, this surname means ‘river’ or ‘shore’. Sorry, your blog cannot share posts by email. 6789 Quail Hill Pkwy, Suite 211 Irvine CA 92603. It could be a topographic name for a person living near a group of Aspen trees. Thank you for the extra info, Borealis!

It is also a topographic name for someone who lived by the bank of the river. Derived from the Old French word voler, Voland means ‘to fly’ or ‘agile’. Macabre association, sure, but the word guillotine was derived from the French surname Guillotin, which is a double diminutive of Guillaume. Gauthier means ‘an army ruler’. From iconic landmarks to the fantastic museums and galleries, France is all about world-class art and architecture. Copyright © Opinion Front & Buzzle.com, Inc. Most common French last names have a Germanic origin, as there was frequent migration between France and Germany. AU: The vowel combination “AU” is pronounced like a long o. CH: The letter combination “CH” is typically pronounced sh. Required fields are marked *. More common in Italy, DeRose is applicable for ‘a person with a rosy complexion’. Very helpful. Derived from the Old French word tasse that means ‘purse’ or ‘bag’, it could be an occupational name for ‘a maker of purses’. Its initial use was found in Silesia and can refer to an official responsible for weighing. This plural form of tremble means ‘aspen’. (Solved! This occupational surname of Norman French origin refers to a person who weaves. This beautiful language has some beautiful surnames too. It may have been used as a nickname for someone with a beautiful or remarkable face.

Our site includes quite a bit of content, so if you're having an issue finding what you're looking for, go on ahead and use that search feature there!

Originating from Occitan, a language in Southern France, Valade means ‘valley’. 100 French Last Names or Family Names with Meanings, This Traditional Method of Massaging a Baby Can Help in Holistic Growth and Development, How to Ensure Your Baby Massage Ritual Delivers the Maximum Benefits, Circumoral Cyanosis in Babies- Causes, Symptoms and Treatment, Importance of Sensory Bins for Infants and Toddlers, 80 Surnames or Last Names That Start With ‘A’, Tips to Choose a Safe Bug Spray for Babies and Kids, Effects of Gestational Diabetes on Baby & Mother, Life After Divorce – Rediscover Happiness With These Practical Tips, World Book Day 2020 – Date, Significance, and How to Celebrate. This comprehensive list of French surnames is quite appealing, and if you have a French last name, can help you trace back the lines of your family history.

Great post Nancy! Originating from the French word sauve, this surname means ‘safe’ and terre means land.

Guy, in French, is pronounced ghee. A variant of the word valencourt, this surname means a ‘low-lying farm’. My French is primarily high school based, but I was very serious about it at the time. It can be an occupational surname referring to ‘the keeper of the king’s forest.’.

Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window), Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window), Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window), Get ready for the Canadian Federal Elections with our name pronunciation guide. And it’s not just Guillaume that trips me up. That’s what I tell myself…and then I come across Guillaume in the wild and my mind goes blank all over again. You might have read these names already in books, history, movies, or pop culture, but what you might not know is how exactly to pronounce them as well as the meanings behind it.

Derived from the word gwen, Gouin means ‘light’ or ‘fair’. OU: The vowel combination “OU” is pronounced oo. W: The consonant “W” is pronounced like a v. And finally, just a few more French names that I tend to have trouble with. Originally a nickname for someone with a dark complexion More means ‘dark-skinned’ person. Derived from Old French name Voltor, Vautour means ‘vulture’. I don’t speak French but art history classes taught me to pronounce it somewhat. Here are two more — the French equivalents of Benedict and Benedicta: Here’s a helpful hint on Guillaume: think guillotine. Derived from the Old French name Theobald, Thibaut means ‘brave’ or ‘bold’. Kaplan is derived from the Old Norman French word Caplain. I always have trouble with Thibault. Hélène, the French form of Helen, is pronounced eh-lehn. P.S. We also use third-party cookies that help us analyze and understand how you use this website. Thanks David! Derived from Mars, the Roman God of War and fertility, Martin belonged to the name of the tribe of Mairtine. This Anglo-Norman French word has an aboriginal origin. Derived from Anglo-Norman French, this occupational surname means ‘barber’. It is commonly refers to the occupational name for a miller or mill worker. This French surname is a variant of the word abreu, and it means ‘a wise counsellor’. Sources: Beginning French Pronunciation, French e, è, é, ê, ë – what’s the difference?, Google Translate. Beau means ‘fair’ ‘handsome’ and ‘lovely’ in Old French. This website uses cookies to improve your experience while you navigate through the website. French last names are intriguing and stylish. Apply this search to the user-submitted names, search for an exact phrase by surrounding it with double quotes, this field understands simple boolean logic, force a term to be included by preceding it with a, force a term to be excluded by preceding it with a, syllables can only be counted in names that have been assigned pronunciations, names without pronunciations are excluded from results, sounds can only be searched in names that have been assigned pronunciations, names missing pronunciations are excluded from results by default, the "relationship" is how the name relates to its parent name, enter a behindthename.com username to search that user's public personal name lists, to limit your search to a specific list, put the name of the list in brackets after the username. If you know French and would like to add to the above (either another rule of pronunciation or a more precise pronunciation for a particular name) please leave a comment. This word from Old French or Norman origin means ‘enduring’. 250 Traditional And Classy French Last Names Or Surnames. …When the “R” is preceded by an “E,” though, it is not pronounced. Renaud Gagneux was a notable French composer. Derived from a nickname given to a person who is light-hearted and joyful, Gay in Old French is gai which means ‘full of joy’. It refers to ‘an attendant at a public bathhouse’ or simply ‘bath’ in Old French.
~ The introduction of last names became extremely important, because it was getting very difficult to distinguish between individuals with the same first … Derived from the French word traverser, Travers means ‘to cross’.

In France, the father’s name forms patronymic surnames, while the mother’s name forms matronymic surnames. These cookies will be stored in your browser only with your consent. Salomé, in French, is pronounced sah-loh-mee. We've created informative articles that you can come back to again and again when you have questions or want to learn more! :). This surname is derived from the German personal name Hariwulf: Hari means ‘army’ and wulf means ‘wolf’. Parenting.Firstcry.com accepts no liability for any errors, omissions or misrepresentations. It might be hard to know where exactly to start with French. Your email address will not be published. It refers to a person of humble origins, or a short person. Olivia Valdes. ), Popular Baby Names in South Australia, 2019. H: The consonant “H” is silent.

LL: The letter combination “LL” is typically pronounced like an l. …But in some cases “LL” is pronounced like a y. OI: The vowel combination “OI” is pronounced wah. Its root Mar means ‘gleam’. People with dark hair or a swarthy complexion are mostly the bearers of this name. It might be hard to know where exactly to start with French. G: The consonant “G” is soft ( zh) when followed by “E” or “I” but hard ( gh) otherwise. The language can often seem to outsiders as if it is purposely difficult. Your use of this site indicates your agreement to be bound by the Terms of Use. French Pronunciation + French Names. Press Enter / Return to begin your search. Aubert means ‘noble-bright’ and originates from the Old German compound word Aedelbeort. This occupational surname means ‘craftsman’ or ‘ironsmith’ in Old French. Originating from the French word foret, this surname means ‘forest’. Monet is a variant of the name Simon and means ‘to be heard’.Monet is most common in the Rhône-Alpes region of the French Alps. Bain is an occupational surname that is derived from a Middle English word bains. Derived from the Latin word Carbo, this surname means ‘carbon’ or charcoal’. Notify me of follow-up comments by email. Whenever I see Guillaume it makes me think of actor Robert Guillaume, so that one never trips me up. It is a variant of Lefevre, Lefebure or Lefeuvre. This French surname of baptismal origin can be traced to the French term ‘toussaint’ or All Saints Day. Derived from the Latin word Pascha, Pascal is a patronymic or a hereditary surname. I really would like to be able to pronounce it correctly. It means ‘charity priest’ who was endowed to sing Mass daily on behalf of the souls of the dead.