Titeuf is also known for his heavy use of jargon, providing viewers a solid exposure to French slang. Petit Potam, French cartoons of a sweet little hippopotamus who drives the river ferry and also tells lovely stories. For example, if you tap on the word “suit,” then this is what you see: And you can learn all the vocabulary in any video with FluentU’s “learn mode.” Swipe left or right at any time to see more examples for the word you’re on.

Newsletter (+ 21 000 Happy Subscribers), Email: contact@talkinfrench.com
Thanks for subscribing!

Choosing to watch a cartoon you know and love is also, of course, an option regardless of whether it’s anime. Throughout the various gags and disasters which occur at the Spirou offices, there’s a lot of unusual and idiomatic vocabulary to be learned.

: Trotro is the animated version of a series of books based on the everyday life of a four- or five-year-old kid – well, donkey. Set in this idyllic coastal city, “Plus belle la vie” is a day to day serial drama about the lives of the residents in an imaginary neighborhood called the Mistral. Why read it? : Dinosaur Train (maybe for a little older?)

and xenophobic (Tintin’s depiction of Muslim people is very stereotyped).

As you learn French, make sure to regularly expose yourself to “youthful” media, including cartoons, so that your skills don’t grow stale as the language evolves. Difficulty: Beginner to Intermediate. Harpreet, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAGfHjDnK60, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJXa8RlHxE0. Hello. Plus Belle la Vie. You can find at least a few episodes of most of the cartoons I’ve listed here on YouTube or watch them directly on French TV. Mickey Mouse Playhouse Curious George Go, Diego, Go! It’s nowhere near as funny as Peppa Pig, but I think it’s utterly charming and I often find myself caught up in the storylines. I love learning French through movies and cartoons! NEW Petit Poulet CHICKEN LITTLE. Through a young prosecutor, a police captain, a judge and a criminal lawyer, we delve into the complicated world of the courthouse in Paris, its workings, its actors and its little tricks. These are great thanks for sharing! They have a cute web site with additional activities, links to their apps, coloring pages, etc. This means no background noises or muffled speaking that makes just hearing the dialogue a struggle, not to mention trying to understand it! © Kid World Citizen 2011. Cartoons are a way to hear many different kinds of voices, but with everyone usually speaking relatively clearly – none of the gritty mumbling you might find on adult shows. It was rebooted in the early 2000’s in a style that’s more flattering to its pretty illustrations, although I sort of wish they’d kept the original’s delightful staccato theme song  (which you can hear here) – not that the new one isn’t catchy.

The only thing he knows is that he has the number XIII tattooed on his neck. Oui-Oui was recommended by a friend who says their children used to watch these French cartoons every day after school. While a number of these comics can be found online or bought on Amazon, bookstores and comic shops, you can also borrow these books in a French Cultural Center near your place. This series started in 1978, with Il était une fois…l’homme, which covers a lot of human history. While not packed with a lot of punches, it’s perfect for comic lovers as it shows readers the not-so-glamorous, but definitely not boring life of a cartoonist. It is available to watch on youtube, or to watch on DVD. That’s because many of the most popular cartoons in France are actually from other countries, including Japan and the United States – not to mention Russia (Masha and the Bear – Masha et Michka in French – is really big here right now). Nobody mentioned “les Mondes engloutis” for slightly older kids 6 or more…. This has been the case for a long time. This is an awesome comic to get you to relate to the protagonist of the story and bring back childhood memories.

They can be a good place to start practicing your French listening skills, since their pacing and dialogue/narration speeds tend to be slower. Maybe you’ve been studying French for a while now. One of the more profound series geared toward children, the characters aren’t afraid to approach subjects such as seduction and crushes, but never in a way that would cause offense. Canada has produced a TV series of the famous elephant and there are many episodes of these French cartoons on-line. The magazines Tchô and Pif Gadget are larger publications that contain comic strips within their pages.

Thanks for subscribing! Plot:The series is set during a very realistic 20th century, and is about a young Belgian reporter who goes on great adventures to solve crimes and get stories with the help of his trusty four-legged companion, Snowy, the white fox terrier dog. When you’re ready, you can move on to actual French cartoons. For a tiny bit older? Just because cartoons are easier to understand than movies doesn’t mean you aren’t learning anything. If you don’t know Le Petit Nicolas, it’s a series of stories about Nicolas and his friends, which often take place in their French elementary school. Marseille is a beautiful southern French city that receives at least 300 days of sunshine every year, making it a dream holiday destination for those who want to experience the Mediterranean lifestyle. He already watches Maisy mouse (he loves her!) Assassins, secret agents, and mystery, this comic will keep you on your toes. Nothing to excuse Laure, your English is awesome:). Use FluentU’s learn mode to actively practice all the vocabulary in any video with vocabulary lists, flashcards, quizzes and fun activities like “fill in the blank.”. Let me present a new web site that I just created with inovated stories, and with animated videos or just stories to lister. All rights reserved.

Also, since the Smurfs are all named after their personalities, it’s great practice for learning French adjectives!

As a result, they’re great for reading and translation exercises.

Watch this reality TV series to find out more.

Whilst not strictly cartoons, these magazines often contain multiple smaller comic strips as well as a few easy-to-understand articles. I really recommend it as my kids actually learnt some cute phrases from Calliou that my French husband hasn’t said to them, and it increases their vocabulary in things they like, dragons, astronauts, crafts, and etc. We hate SPAM and promise to keep your email address safe, Sign up for our weekly blog newsletter for a chance to win a free FluentU Plus subscription (value $240), Get regular language learning tips, resources and updates, starting with the "Complete Guide to Foreign Language Immersion" e-book. This comic follows Maliki’s daily life full of spontaneity and originality, while also taking her back to her childhood memories. Try  below is a list of four other options to learn French through comics.

If you liked this post, something tells me that you'll love FluentU, the best way to learn French with real-world videos.

Why read it?

They are searching for a companion to leave the city together for a quieter life. Youth have their own slang (obviously), but did you know that even young French children have their own set of vocabulary?

Monde de Petits is a French web site for kids filled with songs and activities. (Download). After listening to a clip, exercises test your listening comprehension skills through fill-in-the-blank and multiple choice exercises. Learning French becomes fun and easy when you learn with movie trailers, music videos, news and inspiring talks. Why read it? Whilst not strictly cartoons, these magazines often contain multiple smaller comic strips as well as a few easy-to-understand articles. Why read it?