I'll sign in later. From the South Leave the A12 at Junction 28. It was also a big 'six pointer' in both sides quest for the League Two play offs. I got off at Colchester Town to see what the town centre was like given I had two hours spare until I had to get the park and ride to the ground. The Weston Homes Stadium however is rather remote and soulless. The stadium also won the community benefit award. All amazingly quiet for a Saturday morning, allowing us to arrive in Colchester town centre late morning. I thought it looked like a nice clean, smart ground. The satnav got us to the ground from the town itself with no issues until we got to the ground. Not really, as Orient are in a mess both on and off the pitch. Close player. Colchester is a great modern stadium and a very family friendly club with plenty of activities. We must all work together to ensure we are adhering to public health guidelines to make sure facilities are able to continue to provide the activities we love! [41] The England under-21s returned to Colchester for a 2013 UEFA European Under-21 Championship qualifier on 11 November 2011. The concourse and toilets were the standard breezeblock build but were pretty clean, which is more than can be said for some grounds. I arrived at the stadium by 6:30 and it wasn't met with any problems. The North Stand which normally houses visiting fans, was closed for this game with the 1,000 or so Dagenham fans being located in a segregated East Stand. This pub serves real ale from Adnams and Sharp's, shows Sky Sports and also does food. The South stand houses Colchester United's vocal supporters, where up to 2,000 fans can sit. 10,064 v Norwich City League One, 16th January 2010. I went straight to the ground. The ground looks much bigger from the outside. In the centre of town sits this very old hotel with an antiquated charm. Drinks can be taken back outside the stadium to enjoy the pre-match entertainment such as live bands which are often playing under the marquee. To book tickets to see Colchester either visit the Ticket Office at the ground, phone 0845 437 9089 for the ticket hotline or browse the online ticket office, Colu Tickets. All the stands have translucent panels built into their roofs as well as a perspex strip just below them, which allows more light and facilitates pitch growth. After the game I would recommend waiting around for a bit before leaving as there was a long queue trying to get out the one road. 7. Alternatively, you can take the Park & Ride Bus Service from the High Street or St. John’s Street in the town centre up to Mile End, which is near the stadium. [23], Work began on the Cuckoo Farm site in June 2007, with temporary buildings and construction vehicles arriving on site from 4 June. The stadium is an easy 20 minutes walk from Colchester Station. Mansfield had a lackadaisical first half (and were lucky not to be three down on 50 minutes) but dug deep to turn it around and take all the points with a 79th minute winner. However, the club ended the season 22nd out of 24 in the Third Division table and relegated to the Fourth Division, with an average gate of just 2,641 and a new all-time lowest attendance of 1,430. Featured Colchester United v Forest Green Rovers highlights . If either of these things change then we’ll let you know. The inaugural fixture at Colchester Community Stadium was held against Athletic Bilbao on the 4th August 2008, with the first competitive fixture held two weeks later against Huddersfield Town in League One. Sticks & Pucks will begin Sunday November 15th at 5pm. The Club allows access to the bar and toilets located on the concourse area of the Weston Homes Stand, before each home game (12.15pm for a 3.00pm Kick-Off). 2. [12], In the wake of the Bradford City stadium fire on 11 May 1985 which left 56 people dead,[13] owing to the stadium's antiquated wooden structure, it became of utmost importance to accelerate Colchester United's move from the timber-constructed Layer Road stands to a new stadium. The ground is very neat and tidy just as you’d expect. Colchester is only up the road from me (will be my home from October as I'm going to university up there!) Your email address will not be published. The shuttle bus to the ground was very easy to find and it took 10 minutes to get to the stadium and not badly priced at £2.50. Although for someone driving without directions, the stadium is quite obscure. Shortly after this event, Lambert defected to Norwich, and with bad feelings between the clubs spelt a fiery affair for the return fixture. We walked straight back to Park & Ride via Boxted Road and the stewards helped guide pedestrians away from stadium safely so relatively easy. I was very impressed that the outside catering outlets did not just offer the usual burgers and chips – but also donuts, hot chocolate, pork sandwiches and for the first time in my experience at this level of football: double espressos. Nightmare. Very easy getting away – was on the A12 within 15 minutes. Food was entirely respectable. As you cruise up the A12 you literally trip over the ground on the easterly side of the main trunk road. (opens in a new tab). With 1,700 Millwall fans filling out the away end behind the goal the atmosphere was buzzing. Colchester United are actually really good at providing supporters with numerous ways to buy tickets, but that conversely makes it quite tricky to understand their ticket pricing scheme. Stewards were fine although as ever its off putting having so many sat so close to you and watching you during the game. It seemed strange that large sections of the stadium were kept deliberately unfilled (including one whole stand behind a goal), especially as our 426 travelling fans were a bit sardined into one section. Another ground ticked off, a GREAT win and a brilliant day out! The away stand including the concourse and toilets were modern and very clean even come the end of the game which was great. It was all quite friendly. There was only ever going to be one winner. This stand also uses pricing incentives to encourage supporters to create a loud and vocal atmosphere. The Posh fans, however, were pretty quiet and seemed to expect to turn Colchester over with minimal effort. The U's shared the facilities with Town, as Colchester United's first ever game at the ground came on 2 September 1937, a 6–1 win against Bath City. [26] The first goal to be scored at the stadium was from Aritz Aduriz for Bilbao after 15 minutes, but Colchester forward Scott Vernon equalised from the penalty spot on 32 minutes, registering the first Colchester goal at the Community Stadium. Colchester Community Stadium’s address for satnav is as follows: Colchester United have a car park with 700 spaces at the ground at a cost of £6.00 per car with tickets available to those who book in advance by calling the ticket office on 0845 437 9089. We had 1 official coach and 1 pub coach. Colchester, came out in the second half and really took the game to Dagenham from the restart and it was no surprise that they went into a 2-1 lead with goals from Vincent and Mooney. The game marred by one of our defenders being clattered into and sustaining a broken leg as a consequence. At Layer Road: 19,072 v Reading FA Cup 1st Round, November 27th, 1948. It doesn’t appear as if Colchester currently offer fans the chance to undertake a stadium tour of the Community Stadium . After another 10 minutes, there is a turning to the right, called United Way, from where you will see the stadium. There was about half an hour before the gates opened, so I purchased a cheeseburger for £3.40 which was quite nice. This former theatre is a spectacular setting for a bar, as the original dress circle and stage of the theatre have been preserved and is well worth a visit. You must stay in your seat through the duration of the game unless you are using the washroom or the canteen. Why were you looking forward to this game and visiting the Weston Homes Community Stadium? Fantastic banter between the two sets of fans, As I left one of them shouted 'don't worry about tonight, you'll thrash us the form we are in' …famous last words. We simply walked beside the slip road to the A12 and walked through a dirt track and ended up right outside the away stand. Home » England » Colchester Community Stadium, By Football Tripper Last Updated: July 14, 2019, Colchester Community Stadium is a purpose built football stadium located in the oldest town in Britain, Colchester, Essex. [7] More good news followed with the announcement by Colchester Councillors that work could begin on the stadium prior to the opening of a new access route linked to the A12 in January 2007. On top of all of that they offer further discounts if you buy your tickets in bulks of six or twelve games. That's not something I usually get to experience form my seat much higher up in the home end at Fratton Park! The game itself made up for the long journey, and the day in general was great, contrary to what I was told beforehand, the area that the ground was set in was quite nice, and I would certainly come back again! They let home fans into our side of the concourse to get drinks and other stuff but won’t let us into their side. However the place seemed characterless and dull but most new grounds are like that. Copyright (c) 2016 Colchester Recreation Facilities Assoication, This is for individuals to practice their skills. It wasn’t until the 13th November 2006 that the club would receive full planning permission for a brand new stadium. I went for a look in the club shop and bought a badge and programme before going for a walk around the stadium, taking a few pictures along the way. This bar is available to both home and away supporters.