158.1 g So many of my favorite things to eat involve gooey, melty cheese, and at the top of the list are beef enchiladas. Saute onion, garlic, and beef together until beef is browned. Add 2/3 cup of the enchilada sauce to the beef mixture and stir. Enchilada Sauce recipe makes approximately 4 cups of sauce. To each tortilla, add 1/2 cup ground beef mixture. Grease a 9x13-inch pan. It does look like instructions for adding the jalapeno are missing. I'm done. By continuing to use this website, you consent to the use of cookies in accordance with our Privacy Policy, © Daisy Brand LLC. Roll up and place seam side down in the baking dish. Fill each tortilla with the meat sauce, reserving about 1/2 cup of the meat sauce; roll the tortillas into enchiladas, and arrange in the baking dish, seam sides down. Remove the foil and top with shredded cheddar cheese. We use cookies to offer you a better site experience, analyze traffic, and serve targeted advertisements. See below for the OG photos from October 22, 2013! I like to serve this with simple white rice, black beans cooked with garlic and cumin, shredded lettuce, sour cream, cilantro, pickled red onions and hot sauce. This is one of the first entrees I learned to make as a teenager. These Beef Enchiladas with Homemade Mexican Red Sauce are the real deal. Spoon the sauce in the bottom of the dish over the enchiladas. Saute with the ground beef and onion until cooked through. Enchilada fillings tend to be simple ingredients such as chicken, beef or cheese. Your email address will not be published. Either way is great. Stir in the beans and sauce, green chilies and 1/4 cup of the cilantro. Not surprisingly, the ingredient list on the can has some slightly mysterious items, so I began googling and found tons of "authentic homemade" enchilada sauce recipes. It was so fun and easy! Obviously, I had to figure out how to make them at home frequently, and I'll admit, with no shame, that I had always used canned enchilada sauce. Set up an assembly line with shredded cheese, beef, tortillas, and sauce. Enchilada fillings tend to be simple ingredients such as chicken, beef or cheese. Place under a preheated grill for 5 minutes or until the cheese melts and the sauce begins to bubble. Saute 5 minutes. Most traditional recipes call for quickly frying each one in oil. Cover with foil (spray the underside with cooking spray so the cheese won't stick). A few slices of avocado or some guacamole is always nice, too. You can use any beans you like, black, pinto, chili or kidney. This recipe is for beef enchiladas. Yes, it can be frozen. This recipe was handed down to me from my Mother, LaNelle who received it from my Grandma Laura (my Daddy's Mother). For the Sauce: Melt butter in bottom of large sauce pan, add diced onion and bell pepper, cook on medium heat until onions are translucent. When I go to a Mexican restaurant, I sometimes flirt with the idea of trying something different as I peruse the menu, but I know my eyes will eventually land on the enchilada section and that's it. You can also find my sauce recipe on DCfud.com along with lots of other great recipes and articles! Shred the steak, using two forks, and stir it into the sauce, heat through for a few minutes. https://www.foodnetwork.com/videos/simple-perfect-enchiladas-0196020 Transfer peppers to a large heat proof container and pour over boiling water to cover. Stir the flour into butter/onion mixture stir for two minutes. (However, I prefer using flour tortillas.) Transfer to a plate or bowl. Cover and place in oven for 2 to 2 1/2 hours. Increase oven temperature to 375 degrees. Keep the enchiladas in a warmed dish until you have rolled them all. Spread 3/4 cup of sauce in the bottom. Spray a sheet of foil with cooking spray. Taste of Home. Garnish with shred of onion and fresh flat leaved parsley and then serve immediately with some Salsa. After adding tomato sauce, slowly add in the water and continue to stir until the sauce is smooth. I use my hands for this entire process, including scooping the meat. Cover the enchiladas, sprayed side down. What to Serve with Red Enchiladas with Beef? Looks and sounds yimmy! Pour 1 to 1 1/4 cups of sauce over the enchiladas. Set a tea kettle or small pot of water to boil. 12 %. Add the onion and garlic to a large saucepan with the olive oil. Add remaining vegetable oil and repeat with remaining beef. You should have about 3 ½ cups. A flavorful beef filling, toasted corn tortillas, covered in red sauce and LOTS of cheese. Next, place peppers, two cups of soaking liquid, garlic and spices in a blender and puree until completely smooth. I’ve never used wine in a Tex-Mex or Mexican recipe before, so I can’t wait to try it. Cook tortillas in oil for approximately 5-7 seconds, until tortillas are softened. Bake for 45 minutes. Required fields are marked *. Spray a sheet of foil with cooking spray. Place in the dish, fitting all the enchiladas into the dish. Preheat oven to 400. Add 2/3 cup of the enchilada sauce to the beef mixture and stir. Melted cheese has a particularly special place in my heart. Pat beef dry with paper towels and season with salt and pepper. Fold up the bottom; fold in the sides. to do is assemble and bake, and its super easy. Cook for 5 to 7 minutes, stirring occasionally. If using sauce right away – allow to simmer for 15 additional minutes. I ruled out one after another, finding lots of tomato-based sauces, thickened with flour. (However, I prefer using flour tortillas.) While your tortillas steam and cool slightly, prepare the beef mixture. I love all the little side items too: the beans, rice, finely shredded lettuce, and sour cream. Stack them on a plate, and cover with foil or a clean kitchen towel to allow the tortillas to steam and soften. This tasty Mexican meal is made with Instant Pot Shredded beef that is flavorful and tender. Roll up. Once tortillas are cool enough to handle, fill with heaping tablespoons of cooked, drained, ground meat and sprinkle with shredded cheese. In a large skillet set over medium heat, add the olive oil. Let cool slightly. | Privacy Policy & Legal | Sitemap, 15.5 ounce can chili beans in sauce, undrained. Leave to soak for 30 minutes, then tip the contents of the bowl into a blender and whizz to a smooth paste. Simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the sauce has thickened. Bake for an additional 10 minutes or until the cheese is melted. Start with 1 teaspoons additions until adjusted. The tortillas are then rolled around a filling and covered in a savory chili pepper red sauce. Your email address will not be published. 11 %. Step 5, I assume? Bake for 1 minute or until warm and pliable. Place peppers on baking sheet and toast in preheated oven for 5 minutes. Filled with tender chunks of beef and cheese and covered in a homemade red enchilada sauce, these enchiladas are better than any you will get at a Mexican restaurant. Pour over 1 1/4 cups sour cream and 3/4 cup grated cheddar cheese. I dont like the store bought red enchilada sauce, so I make my own. - Anita. (WARNING - VERY SPICY HOT), Total Carbohydrate Enchiladas are traditionally made with corn tortillas. Filled with tender chunks of beef and cheese and covered in a homemade red enchilada sauce, these enchiladas are better than any you will get at a Mexican restaurant. Once meat has cooled some, shred it with 2 forks.. Place it in a medium bowl and add 1/4 cup of sauce and 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese and 1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese. It can improve my mood instantly; it completes me. Season with salt and pepper. The water will become a deep red color and the peppers will become very soft. Tear one of the tortillas into small pieces and add it to the mixture. So many of my favorite things to eat involve gooey, melty cheese, and at the top of the list are beef enchiladas. Melted cheese has a particularly special place in my heart. Cook for 4 to 5 minutes or until the mixture is thick, stirring occasionally. trimmed of fat and cut itno 1 1/2-inch cubes. Cook over medium-high heat for 10-15 minutes until the sauce reduces and slightly thickens. Thanks for the recipe. Preheat the oven to 350° F and spread 1/4 cup of the enchilada sauce over the bottom of a 13×9 baking dish. Heat the oven to 350 degrees. Beef Enchiladas with Homemade Mexican Red Sauce. Meanwhile, fry the garlic, oregano and cumin in the oil for 2 minutes. The BEST! In a 9x13 pan, add 1 cup enchilada sauce. This recipe is for beef enchiladas. The only thing I really knew was that a true Mexican red sauce was based on dried red chile peppers, so this was the ingredient I looked for. Total Carbohydrate Note: For a vegetarian version of this, (If you plan to make cheese or black bean enchiladas) either use vegetable stock, or just use 4 cups total of the soaking liquid and omit the stock all together. But, one day I started to wonder... How do they make that stuff? Copyright © 2020 Brunch Pro on the Brunch Pro Theme, « Dark Chocolate Olive Oil Muffins with Chocolate Streusel. To fill the enchiladas, spoon about 2/3 cup of the beef mixture down the center of each tortilla. 38.9 g Add ½ cup of enchilada sauce and cook for a few more minutes until slightly thickened. The sauce is what really makes these enchiladas taste so incredible. Add the beans to the beef mixture. Bring to a low boil and simmer covered for 30 minutes. The beef cooks in the sauce and gives it tons of beefy flavor. 52 %, Delicious Ground Beef Enchiladas With Homemade Sauce. It's well worth the mess, and your hands will get covered in sauce, so using a spoon is just kind of silly (plus, it's fun to play with your food!). About 5-10 more minutes. Tag @wild.thistle.kitchen on Instagram and hashtag it #wildthistlekitchen. The tortillas are then rolled around a filling and covered in a savory chili pepper red sauce. Uncover and bake for 10 minutes longer or until bubbly and thoroughly heated. **I updated this post with new photos on 2/19/2020. Stir in chili powder, cumin, coriander, cayenne pepper, and oregano and cook and stir for 1 minute. In a 9x13 pan, add 1 cup enchilada sauce. Add half the beef and cook until browned on all sides. Drain. tiny pinch of ground clove (traditional, but optional). Begin to add the dry spices; 4 heaping tablespoons chili powder, ¼ teaspoons cayenne pepper, ½ teaspoons black pepper and the garlic powder if you did not add in garlic cloves. It can improve my mood instantly; it completes me. The updated photos are just stunning!! Spray bottom of a large baking dish (mine is 9"x 13") with nonstick cooking spray, and add a very thin layer of Mexican red sauce. Return beef and any juices to the Dutch oven and bring to a simmer. Fold up the bottom; fold in the sides. This step is important for two reasons: It adds flavor to the tortillas and it prevents them from cracking when you roll them up later. All rights reserved. When the oil is hot, add the beef and break … Hi Barbara, These Red Enchiladas are Mexican comfort food at its best. Beef Enchiladas with tender shredded beef, melted cheese, and smothered in red sauce are easy to make with this delicious dinner recipe!. I found three really great, authentic sounding recipes and combined my favorite elements to come up with this sauce. Pour 1 cup of the enchilada sauce in the bottom of the baking dish. Serve with cilantro. To Prepare: Wow Anita!! Pour the remaining sauce over the tortillas. Spray a 13x9-inch baking dish with cooking spray. It can improve my mood instantly; it completes me. Place 1/3 cup of beef mixture down the middle of each tortilla. Remove tortillas from hot oil with tongs onto paper towels to drain. Repeat with the rest. The sauce also has a robust tomato flavor plus lots of Mexican spices and a little dry red wine also adds flavor. Thanks for the comment and happy cooking! Sorry for my delay! Your email address will not be published. Push on the solids with the back of a spoon to get as much liquid out.