Even if we fulfill a list of religious duties or live outwardly moral lives, God judges the thoughts and intentions of our hearts (Heb. Fill thine horn with oil, and go, I will send thee to Jesse the Bethlehemite: for I have provided me a king among his sons. David had a servant’s heart and a shepherd’s heart. But God did not choose David based upon his physical appearance. Yet Enoch, who is noted for his godliness, only lived about a third as long as they did! He finds out that his best friend Andy’s grandmother is very sad and lonely at the nursing home where she lives. You do not trust in any religious rituals, ceremonies, vows, or disciplines to gain acceptance with God. We should seek God so often that we beat a path to Him! David gave his own gold, silver, bronze, iron and wood for the materials needed to build the temple. He now asked God’s people, “Who is willing to separate themselves to the Lord?”  After seeing David willingly give of his possessions for the materials of the temple, the leaders of families, officers, commanders of the military and other officials gave willingly materials to build the temple. Because when we are under persecution or severe trials, it is easy to invent a friendlier “god” who treats us more nicely! To fly with God sounds impossible, but to walk with God is doable. Facebook. Daily we have the opportunity to learn in each circumstance that comes our way. Pleasing God and living before His face is seeking His will in situations and decisions big and small. Faith is not just something nice, if you care to practice it. The term ‘ruddy’ means red and probably refers to the fact that he was tanned from having spent so much time in the sun. © 2020 The Priceless Journey, Inc., A nonprofit 501(c)(3) Charitable Organization. In fact, even the pagan poet, Cicero, observed, “There is… no nation so barbarous, no people so savage, that they have not a deep-seated conviction that there is a God” (cited by John Calvin, The Institutes of the Christian Religion [Westminster Press], 1:44). It is impossible to please God without faith. Song for this lesson: Count your Blessings A man named Walter Carter wrote to Mr. Kerry urging him to support the ejection of Iraq from Kuwait. Are you tired of washing those clothes by hand?”  I answered, “Yes, a little.”  To which she responded, “Why don’t you do it with a happy face? David prayed for God to keep the desire to give in the hearts of the people forever. Whenever you hear of a need and God instructs you how to respond to that need and you respond willingly you will have joy in your heart. We’ve seen that our number one aim in life should be to please God, and that faith is essential to please Him. [1] Chuck Swindoll, David, A Man of Passion and Destiny, (Nashville, Nelson, 1997) p6. ?God Bless and more Power. And He will equip you to give thanks through it all. As you prepare to celebrate Thanksgiving pray for ways you can show your thankfulness to God for all He has blessed you with by giving to others. Eventually Saul was revealed to be a man who was very self-centered and insecure. What kind of heart and faith pleases God? Let’s read verses 1 Chronicles 29:10-13 and see what David praised the Lord for. For more devotionals like this you can purchase my book Praying through the Gospels. Printer Friendly Bible Lesson: [print_link] this lesson plan You have words of eternal life. What is God showing you to pray for? What could be more insulting? 12 And he sent, and brought him in. Though their request was not unreasonable, their unwillingness to wait upon God was. Lord, I pray that You will increase in me and that I will decrease. (Build a temple), Who was going to be the one to build the temple? Help me be thankful every single day and in every single thing.”. How do you deal with a sinning professed believer who is not a church member? These were just a couple of ideas of willingly giving to others. How can we be terrified of God and still find hope in him at the same time? John Owen explains, “Faith alone is the gracious power which takes us off from all confidence in ourselves, and directs us to look for all in another; that is, in God himself” (An Exposition of Hebrews [The National Foundation for Christian Education], 7:41). We should seek to please others in order to build them up in Christ (Rom. And he said, There remaineth yet the youngest, and, behold, he keepeth the sheep. God isn’t looking for perfect people because there are no perfect people. We have believed and have come to know that You are the Holy One of God” (John 6:67-68). In this lab, John Piper looks at several texts to try and understand what it means for us to fear God. Notice that David led the people of Israel according to the integrity of his heart. He received two separate replies. Drawing near to God and seeking Him are deliberate, intentional activities. This was an exciting story because we saw people willingly giving their possessions to God. Our attitude will reveal how thankful we are for God’s blessings to us. NIV. Susan’s toy box is overflowing with stuffed animals. How can we pray through the hard times and live more intentionally for the King? We know this on a human level. Memory Verse Activity: The verse can be sung to the tune of 10 Little Indians. 9:30 A.M. Sunday School – Classes for all ages So that I can please You with the words that leave my mouth. David was a king and had much wealth and treasure. Are “proofs” of His existence useful or should we take a different approach? So our number one aim in life should be to please God from the heart. As believers everyday should be celebrated as a day of Thanksgiving. Even for believers who die physically, there is a sense in which they will not see death. Learning Context: Sunday School But God knows our every thought, and so we can’t fake Him out! A Shepherd’s Heart is Someone Who Cares About Others. Saturday During those long, lonely days in the fields watching over his father’s sheep, David was being interviewed by God for a more important task. Love God with your ALL (Matthew 22:37-38 “Jesus replied, ‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. His father, Jared, lived 962 years.